Curb Appeal in 92883>Question Details

Rich Hernand…, Real Estate Pro in Corona, CA

I live in Sycamore Creek in Corona Ca. My homeowners Asssoc is forcing me to move my F350 truck from driveway to the street. I don't understand?

Asked by Rich Hernandez, Corona, CA Mon Jun 11, 2012

They say " We appreciate you working hard to keep the community an attractive and enjoyable environment"
Does parking in the street really make the home look more attractive?

Answers

10
That's your first problem...Sycamore Creek has one of the worst boards ever!! out of the five members only three of them even live in the community.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
Rich,
Is it possible your f350 ( I Love those trucks I have owned 10 so far ) extended out over the sidewalk? Did it have a hitch that stuck out as well? Other items that stuck out from the bed?
Some cities also have rules about vehicles 22.5 feet or longer. I know, like I said I had 10 of these trucks through the years. You might ask your HOA whats the deal in a nice cooperative tone.
The HOA Police have you in their sites and they wont give up until another person in your neighborhood becomes a problem. You have a whiner in your community and they had a bad day and now they are taking it out on you.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
harold@homecorona.com
http://www.homecorona.com
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 26, 2012
Thanks Harold, I do feel I am a target. I had two violations and I beat them on them. I beat them on the truck issue and they continued to adjust to make my truck a prohibited vehicle. My truck is actually a personal vehicle. It does not encroach on the sidewalk.
They have passed out 700 violations since Feb. 2012. I think it is a fresh revenue stream for them. My legal solution is to park it in the street. This does not make sense if they want to make the neighborhood nicer. Letting me leave my truck in the driveway is more pleasing to the eye. Sean Frates told me they get the fines, do the liens and when you sell collect the money. Sean Frates is the general manager. I am underwater and can't sell. I will move out and make it a rental. The neighborhood is filling up with rentals.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012
You just might not be an "HOA Kind of Guy". Some of us are just not meant to live in Association Communities. A trucks a truck, but HOA have their rules. I say you move to a place your comfortable. Give me a call Diane Lynette 714 386 8426
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Would love to move. I am underwater by more than 50%. Thanks though.
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012
Hi Lynette,
I guess you are right about me not being an "HOA Kind of Guy".
Discovered that the Southfield investors, the developer has the right to put the board members of their choice on our home owners assoc. Sean Frates the general manager at Sycamore creek said he has passed out 700 violations since Feb. 2012 when he took over. He said it was at the request of the board of directors.
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012
We just moved in this past Christmas and it is definitely no walk in the park. The security, who the HOA neglects to state is the makeshift community police got into an argument with my husband over parking regulations we were new to. If F350's have to be moved to the street ( if that is the case) why doesnt my neighbors 1995 Honda Accord with dents and dings have to be the first thing I see when I walk outside? That doesn't make my day enjoyable, nor my community attractive!
Hi Rich,
I would start by reading the parking section in your CC&Rs. This should state the weight requirements, types of vehicles, etc. that are allowed to be parked on your driveway. Sometimes if the vehicle impedes the sidewalk or is a commercial vehicle (like others have mentioned) then it will be an issue. Good luck!
I did bring up the possible conflict before I purchased and it was waived for me 6 years ago. I was told many other buyers had the same vehicles and it was being over looked.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012
My truck is 4000 pounds under the limit. I feel I am just being singled out. My other neighbors are not receiving violation letters for the same thing. I have complained to the DRE. Waiting for a response.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012
Rich,

It really depends on how your truck looks and your CC&Rs. Does it look commercial? Do you have logos or graphics on it? Many times if it has any lettering then it is considered commercial. If that is the case, you could always remove the graphics and get car magnets to take on/off your vehicle. Check with your CC&Rs...and find a good work around.

To answer your question - yes, not having working vehicles with graphics and lettering does make a difference when the street is filled with them. The rules are in place in case of those situations.

Felix
It is a clean white truck. With out logos. The work around is parking it in the street.
I hope because the developer is still in charge of the board of directors, I can have the DRE arbitrate. I have two complaints filed. My neighbors with more egregious trucks and vehicles have not (4 of my closest neighbors told me they have not received violation letters) been cited.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Hello, Rich,

Your Trulia profile shows that you are a builder/developer. Could your F350 truck be a work truck or a commercial vehicle? Many homeowners associations forbid the parking of commercial vehicles (work trucks) in the open within the community. The idea is to keep the development looking like a residential community and not a corporation yard.

As others have advised, check your HOA rules.
This was known by the developer before I signed the contract. Now it is prohibited. They are shooting themselves in the foot, because now instead of out of the way. I will be parking in the street. It is a clean white truck, no logos. The developer has filled 3 of the board of directors slots with their own people. I am hoping they are still under the jurisdiction of the DRE, I have filed two complaints. One on the developer, and one on the developers agent that assured me it would be over looked. And has been for 6 years.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Hi Rick,

You need to read your CC&Rs and you will see how you are in violation by parking your truck in your driveway. Perhaps your truck is longer than your driveway? Is it blocking a sidewalk?

Your CC& R's from your Homeowners Association explains the rules for parking in your neighborhood. You would have been given a set of these before you closed escrow on your home. CC&Rs are your Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, ie: the rules of the Homeowner's Association to which you belong. The rules are set up in your best interest to uphold the integrity and attractiveness of your community, thereby protecting the value of your most prized possession, your home.

Trudy Carter
Parking in the street is not a big deal.
But it is wrong that my 4 closest neighbors that are clear violations of the CC&R's have not been cited. I talked to them and asked.
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012
Hello Rich !

Sorry to hear about your recent communication with your HOA. Did the letter / note reference a rule in the CC&R's (rules) ? If not, try requesting that so that it narrows your research a bit. If its a vague rule, you may want to review your neighbors driveway and then look to meet with the board at their next monthly meeting to chat informaly about it. If you have pictures readily available of any points you wish to make, bring them along as its helps curb the conversation to that meeting. Please keep an amicable tone and set of mind. These are after all your neighbors and friends, and are only looking to keep the best possible image for your community.

Most Kindest Regards,
Mario Gonzalez
Realtor Associate
714-363-8425
The Nazar Kalayji Group
PROVIDENT REAL ESTATE
Chase Bank Preferred Agent 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Short Sale & Pre-Foreclosure Certified *
REO Buyer Agent & Distressed Property Certified
DRE LIC 01708214
I have done more research now. The developer has exercised its right to reassert its control over a majority of the Board.
The management is the agent of the Board. Not my agent, which I mistakenly believed. I have spoken to one of the board of directors and he has explained to me that the three board members that work for Starfield investors the developer pull all the strings. This director informed me he would approve my truck, but I will lose any request to park it there from Starfields appointed directors.
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012
Homeowners associations are created to protect and enforce the rules and regulations of the community. I advise you to talk with the association either by calling the president or attend a community meeting to voice your opinion. If the rules specifically state that you can't park in the driveway, then don't. If the rule is general and not specific, contest it at the meeting. (Please read your rules and regulations to know for sure, even if it sounds ridiculous.)
The letter states my truck is "In need of immediate removal" They didn't give me the solution to park in the street. The way it was written I thought I had to take it to a storage company. The street is not their jurisdiction.
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012