Curb Appeal in Tampa>Question Details

Gary De Pury, Real Estate Pro in Pasco County, FL

I have an opportunity to build a deck behind my office.........

Asked by Gary De Pury, Pasco County, FL Tue Feb 26, 2008

My office is on an acre with a 1/2 acre pond next to it.

I have French Doors leading from the conference room to the area where I am considering placing the deck.

Here is my question. Should I go with a deck at ground level or just slightly above, or should I raise it to the roof line? If I invest the extra cash for the spiral staircase I will have a 10' high deck that overlooks the pond.

My office agents are split about 63/35 Depending upon your response, I am going to get the plans done and then move forward.

Any and All input would be greatly appreciated.

Gary De Pury
Broker-Owner
Bay Vista Realty
Chairman, Communications Committee
Greater Tampa Association of REALTORS®
Director, Florida Association of REALTORS®

Answers

8
Natasha’s answer
FIrst you should hire a landscape architect to look at the space and give you some ideas on the best uses for it. They'll also keep you free of any health, life, safety issues. The last thing you want is your beautiful TREX deck to land on an important client. Second, the addition of the upper level would enhance the space and the shade below is always welcome in sunny florida. Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Gary call me, I'll bring the wine.................
defenetely open the conference room french doors; above ground.
Web Reference: http://www.hothomespot.com
Sorry, the 65 / 35 is not a commission split.

My agents got first vote and that is about the answer that I got. I just got a few more votes in and the numbers are now more like 55 / 45. So the office is even less decided. (I even sent the vote out saying that the HIGH DECK option is for "HOPE AND CHANGE", because it seems to work for the other guy)

Basically, if I go with High, you will come out onto a concrete slab or a pavers and then you have the option of going up to the high deck. If I go low, you will still come out but stay at one level. I just want to make a nice place to get away during the day and a place to entertain BVR clients as this market returns. And the shaded area under the high deck, if I go that route, will become a small garden an sitting area.

I also plan to put some music out there.

I just bought a bunch of TREX decking. So I want to do this right.

Your Friend and Fellow Realtor,

Gary
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2008
Here's a thought,

If you wanted to do a little entertaining, and opened up the french doors, which would give you a better view? It might end up being a nice place to "get away" for your agents who feel a little stressed. I say go "high".

It would be a thoughtful gesture and I think your agents would appreciate it. Invite us over when it's done!
Web Reference: http://www.PhilFowler.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2008
good luck with your new deck Gary ( I would have to 'see it' it have an opinions, but i am sure you make the right choice... best of luck
Natasha,

Do Yooouuuu DOUBT...My considerable Building skills?????

Hmmmmmm......?????

Just kidding! Great point. I am having plans drawn up no matter which way I go. But when I build, I over build. The first doghouse I ever built as a kid is still standing and I think it is on it's 9th or 10th tenant. Damn, now I gotta call my mom and ask about the dogs....

Thanks guys and I promise a party when this thing is done...

Gary De Pury
Broker-Owner
Bay Vista Realty & Investments, Inc.
Chairman, Communications Committee
It sounds like a great idea to me. My previous brokerage had a large deck with a great view of the lake. I loved it!
Gary,
1) I love your photo. Very sweet.
2) I love the Tampa area--especially Ybor City. Great cigar shops--and pasta at the Spaghetti Factory excellent!
3) I don't know why you mentioned the commission split, but I like it what you're doing.
4) In response to your question, I'm not a big fan of high decks. The space under decks always seem like a waste--although the shade may be welcomed in sunny Florida--and there's always that safety concern. How about a nice stone patio at ground or near-ground level, and a lovely balcony off the conference room. That would give you the best of both worlds: a beautiful view from above and a nice outdoor area below.
Gerry