Curb Appeal in Portland>Question Details

Nancy, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

I have a 1750 sq. foot home in the Bethany Area. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath with 3 car garage. We'd like to turn

Asked by Nancy, Portland, OR Thu Apr 3, 2008

one of the garage bays into a den. Will the impact on our house value decrease by doing this? We don't know if we should leave the existing garage door on or put siding up. We have 1 double garage and 1 single garage. The single garage is set back. THANKS!!

Answers

4
Metro’s answer
I was at a house today where they did a decorative concrete floor in a 2 car garage and turned the garage into an office/den. If they want to sell it a new owner has either a real nice garage or additional living space.
Web Reference: http://www.metrocrete.com
I am a design remodel contractor with 30 years experience and a real estate broker. This is a very cost effective way to add square footage to a home. I would build it so it could easily be removed when you sell. Take pictures off how it is build so potential buyers can see how to remove the wall if desired. For this reason I would leave the garage door in place rather than do siding. Spend some money on an insulated garage door with windows for natural light and a upgraded design that fits your home to add extra curb appeal. I built a great man cave hangout with a TV and sports hang out for a client and it was great to be able to open the door and have friends and neighbors come over and hang out, BBQ and enjoy the weekend.
Vince Meichtry new dwelling real estate + Living Green Remodeling
I live right here in Bethany and I can comment on that. Your value will decrease if this is done wrong. Nancy I am guessing you are in Bethany Meadows. Great plat, great area. Turn the single bay garage into a den and keep a 2 car. The value should stay about the same....or maybe go up. If you can do this in a way that the buyer can remove some walls later and turn it back into a 3 car... all the better.

I would make it a temporary room and leave the garage door. You may want to call me for a free onsite consult and I can insure you what decision is best. I live by Allenbach Acres. My brother and I own the local Re\Max and I have been selling here in Bethany since before there were any homes up here.

Check me out at BethanyHomes.info or any one of my25 neighborhood websites.

Great Question and I would love to help.

Regards;

Dirk Knudsen
Broker / Owner
Re\Max
Re\Max Hall of Fame
503-799-8383
Web Reference: http://www.nwhomecenter.com
It would be hard to say without seeing the place ,if it is a good idea or not!
But I think as long as it’s done professionally and it won't hurt the curb appeal it should be ok.