Curb Appeal in Chicago>Question Details

Bev, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I'd like to plant bushes on the side of my house that has lots of traffic instead of putting up a fence. What type of bush would you suggest?

Asked by Bev, Chicago, IL Sat Sep 18, 2010

Chicago I get lots of traffic due to my home sitting on an ally. The house faces the west and gets plenty of sunshine. I am leanin towards a plant with thorns to detor those attempting to take a short cut across my property. What information due you have to offer?

Answers

4
Noah Seidenberg’s answer
I was going to suggest Arborvitae. They can grow pretty tall, which would make a great fence, and they also block out a lot of the wind and noise. One downfall is they can hold a lot of snow, causing them to change shape. You can prevent that from shaking the snow off.
Barberry would do well in the west, has short thorns and there are several varieties that have different color leaves. They do need to be trimmed at some point. They grow rapidly so you could plant short bushes and in a few short years they could really make a nice hedge. Sometimes people prune them boxy and others like to see the nice flow that they can have if you give them enough space to expand. They are also easy to replace if they don't make it in the first season. I have used Arborvitae at times and they might not handle the winter winds from the west and are a pain to replace, something that I had to do numerous seasons in a row where they weren't as protected from the wind.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 18, 2010
Try oleanders. They're dear proof too, but you'll have to trim back for the cold weather.
If the city allows you to plant bushes, try Arborvitae. They grow tall and thin and make great fences.