Question Details

Kathy-jo Arm…, Home Buyer in York, PA

I am picking out new tiles for my bathrooms. I was looking for something of good quality, that would not be

Asked by Kathy-jo Armstrong, York, PA Thu Nov 8, 2007

really cold on my feet and that would last. Any recommendations?

Answers

2
Kathy-jo.
I certainly don't mean to insult--but any good quality tile is going to be cold on your feet... If you like tile, but not the cold, a good solution would be to install radiant heat in the sub-floor of your bathroom when you do the remodel. Radiant heat floors are a desirable upgrade in upscale bathrooms; also consider glass tile as the newest uber trend. Both of these options are fairly expensive, you need to determine their personal value to you as a creature comfort, as well as how much of this investment you are likely to recoup at resale. Do not over-build or upgrade you house far above the standard home in your neighborhood--you can never fully recover the financial costs of having the "nicest house on the block." Best of luck!
There are some variations of travertine that are not quite as porous...the problem with tiles that are "easier on the feet" and not as cold is that they are porous..and tend to absorb water no matter what sealer you put on them. What I did in my wife "sanctuary" is combine marble and Travertine so in the wet area walk on marble, while on the drier/less used area travertine.
Web Reference: http://www.iansellsnola.com