Curb Appeal in 94114>Question Details

Mike, Other/Just Looking in castro/sf

How Much Difference do Views Make?

Asked by Mike, castro/sf Sun Sep 30, 2007

My house is a doll house (sanchez above 19th) with unobstructed 180 degree north (downtown) views in every room. I know the places below me both sold for $2M with only their upper room with my view, though they are about 2x larger square footage than mine. Other than that, they're similar in upgrades, etc. I know that when I first looked at my place, the view was the only thing *I* could see.

So how of a premium does that sort of thing typically/often command?

Answers

13
Tanja Beck & Scott Rose’s answer
Mike,

If you don't want to have a ton of Realtors walking through the home and you really want to put a price tag on your view hire an appraiser. Tell the appraiser that you want to get an idea of what the house would be worth in todays market but don't directly mention that you want to sell. The area where you live is highly desirable especially in the gay community. You need to take that in consideration. Gay couples may not care so much about the space if they have a great place to entertain and the views. It really depends on the layout of your home.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your sale and yes, if you need help... ;o)
Web Reference: http://www.TanjaBeck.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hi Mike,

Ever heard of Million Dollar View? I think panoramic view is worth a lot. Some of the houses for sale has only the views as the selling point and they are still very desirable.

Of course, being in Noe Valley also helps tremendously. When you said a doll house, I was worried that it might be too small, but if it has 13 ,or 1400 sf, it's still a decent size, and with that location and according to you, upgrades, I'd think it will commend top dollars.

Why don't you have a realtor come over, take a look and give you a market analysis and estimate of the selling price of youe home? We do that for free.

Sylvia
Web Reference: http://www.SylviaBarry.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Hi Mike,

My husband and I just represented the sellers of a house that was only 738 sf, but the views of the city and bay were incredible, so we had received a great deal of interest in the property. Certainly, if the same house were for sale in the same neighborhood, but without the views, it would have sold for much less than it did.

Be sure to market your property highlighting the views and take lots of pictures at different times of the day. If you have a great sunset, put some photos of it on the table for your Sunday open house. Maybe even have a twilight open house on a Saturday.

Mary
Web Reference: http://www.apr.com/mburns
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hi Mike,

Nothing is typical with views other than you do get more, how much more depends on the actual view. It sounds like your views are not typical and should fetch a real premium compared to other homes nearby that do not have he view.

Obviuosly a view is not the only thing, assuming your house is in great shape with your doll house description, hopefully 3+ beds or 2 plus office it could be worth a big premium, in the $100's of thousands. If you would consider my partner and I taking 30 minutes of your time to show us your home we will provide you with an up to date market analysis with no obligation, and our office is just around the corner on 17th St.

Good luck, and we hope to be of assistance.

Matthew & Aldo
Mike,

Views are a wonderful thing. If you have a full on downtown view from a public room, i.e. living room or dining room, then they can be the value of parking or more. I'd be happy to share that info, but as you can see we all dance around it as 'Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder'.

In Pac Heights, architects who built the homes there ignored them. :On Twin Peaks they built multi-units with nothing else in mind. If you want to know what your home is worth, have a realtor such as myself come by and give you an opinion. Otherwise it's all supposition.

I promise not to waste your time, just give me a call and I'll give it to you straight.
Appraisal wise in Northern California it can mean between $100,000 - $1.000,000 depending on whether you live in Humbolt County or in Malibu.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
A view can make all the difference in the world. It sounds like you have a fantastic view! I recently sold a property (condo in a transitional neighborhood) with a great city view and was able to get the highest price in the area. The appraisal took a little longer than usual...sometimes views are "priceless!"
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
Mike,
The answer is quite a bit. For a small home the, view will extend the feel of the house. There are very few people that purchase in SF that won't recognize the premium of the views you enjoy. You should price your home as if it didn't have the views and then let the market fight it out to establish what the view is worth. I'm sure you will be surprised and quite possibly one of the legends that astound our brethren.
If you have any questions feel free to call.
Web Reference: http://www.jedlane.com
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Mike, It always depends on your views- ocean, white-water, peek, etc. As a few people said, some people could care less about a view- but to others it is worth a great deal! Ocean views tend to be worth more, I'd say, than canyon views, etc. Your realtor should be able to help you with this. As you said- when you bought- the view was all you could see! There is definately something to be said for that! City views are very appealing to most people- but some call them "Peter Pan" views- rooftops are all they can see! It sounds like your view would be worth something- determining what is why you want a good realtor's advice!

Best to you in the sale of your home!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
I differ in nuance with Christine. While there is no set percentage across the board for all views, everywhere, Agents and appraisers in your City do know the value of the specific view that you have. They estimate that value by reviewing historical percentage premiums for the "same" views; they will look at recent sales and current offerings of view and non-view homes in the city. They may have to go a little out of area For example, if you are in Noe Valley they may need more comps and have to consider view homes in Potrero Hill, the Mission District. San Francisco has a lot of hills, so there should be plenty of data for your agents to pull together an estimate for the value of your house.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Views can hide many a home's deficits! Some buyer's fixate on a view and you can't get them to see forest!! Talk to the Realtor's who have success in your market/neighborhood. They have heard this before and can give you some level-headed advice. I'm continually amazed at the resilence of the SF market!! Some of the prices you folks command are the stuff of legend up here in Sonoma County!!
Again, there is no premium amount or percentage. It depends upon how important that is to somebody. Most people like beautiful views. I have seen homes in areas with great views and their blinds closed during the day!!
Depends how much it means to you. Some people don't care what they look at and others want to see water, woods, etc.