Curb Appeal in Toms River>Question Details

Jan, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Hello we are looking for a summer home in TR and see many homes have the light gravel/stones that cover the lawn. How expensive is that?

Asked by Jan, New York, NY Tue Jun 12, 2012

Answers

5
Hi Jan, My name is Tom, I'm a Real Estate agent with Bay Coast Realty however I've been a contractor all my life. Stone in place of a lawn is a real shore tradition, especially today because of all the colors available. Pinks, reds, blends, crystal, blues, polished, you name is. The sky is the limit and nothing decorates the outside of your home like nice clean maintenance free landscaping. The stone itself is not that bad anywhere from $12.00 per ton to $25.00 per ton for real fancy. A ton covers approximately 100 sq.ft. at 2 " thick. To go over a lawn however there's two ways to do it. The correct way is to get a guy and a machine for a day and let them scrape of the layer of dirt with the grass. then you put down a good commercial landscape fabric so weeds dont grow through then apply your stone. Ballpark price of about $50.00 to $65.00 per sq. (1 sq. = 100 square feet or a 10 x 10 area)
The other way to do it is to cut the lawn down as low as possible, spray weed killer over the lawn (something environmentally safe because thats alot of weed killer) and go over the grass well with the landscaping fabric. I would suggest using more stone in this application because the stone has to pack down the grass under the fabric. So really what you save in labor you lose in extra stone plus theres a better chance that maintenance will be required sooner then scraping off the old lawn. Hope this helps you and answers your question. If you need help finding a home or a contractor for that matter please give me a call, my profile is in here... Have a safe summer.
Hi

I am having an open house on June 24th, Great Ranch in Silverton, Toms River, come and visit, I will be happy to assist you in your quest for a summer home. The address is 59 Longman Street. See you then!

Laurie DeCherico 917-576-8029
Century 21 Action Plus Realty
ldecherico@actionplusrealty,com
Hi Jan,
The cost of putting gravel stones may be much cheaper in the long run than maintaining the lawn. The obvious advantage is no maintance, and no watering. You see many of the waterfront houses with the stones instead of grass, because many are 2nd homes
. I would be glad to help you find a summer home in Toms River. I can email you houses, and when you are ready, we can go and see the ones you like.
You can reach me at dbishop35@comcast.net or 732-984-1757.
Hi Jan,

Sharon gave you the best direction but if you want a rough idea, check out these links:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_yard_of_gravel_cost

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_yard_of_stone_cost

We're two weeks into another Toms River summer, join us soon!

Slainte,

Jim
Web Reference: http://FlanaganRealty.com
Hi Jan ~

The cost for a lawn to be covered by light gravel/stones or any stones would best be asked to a Landscaper. It would most likely depend on the size of the yard and the type of stone. If you would be interested in a summer home, then I could definitely help you with that as 3 out of our 12 offices at Crossroads Realty are located in Toms River.