Curb Appeal in Los Angeles>Question Details

Pacific, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

HELP PLASE!!! quickly

Asked by Pacific, Los Angeles, CA Fri Dec 23, 2011

hey I need help ASAP..... I have a question... whoever answer this question will be greatly appreciated by me? could you tell me what is difference between a 2 unit dwelling and a duplex please answer me!!!

Answers

15
Pacific’s answer
Hi everyone thank you so much for your answer really....I have it clear now.... appreciate so much your answer also happy new year for all of you.... i will take into consideration this web page for upcoming questions thanks a lot..!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 29, 2011
Hello Pacific, a two unit dwelling could be two separate living spaces on one property, a duplex is where the 2 units are attached either next to each other or one on top of the other. If you email me the property address, I can give you some more information.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-586-0364
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
One additional thought:

If you're buying something and you're presented with a "2 unit dwelling," it's likely that you're being presented the opportunity to buy a structure with 2 units in it.

If you're buying "a duplex," that could mean you're buying the entire structure. Or it could mean that you're buying just one of the living units. (Kind of like buying a unit in a condominium.) Where I am, for instance, there's a community of duplexes. When they come on the market, you're buying one living unit--one half of the structure.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Simply put:

A duplex is two separate houses under one roof.

With 2-units they may or may not share the same roof or structure. They could be 2 separate structures or share one or more wall(s) or roof.

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to error and omission, and not warranted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
A duplex and two units are the same except a duplex can be two stories one unit on top of the other or side by side, two units can be two separate houses on one parcel or lot.
I hope that answers your question
I specialize in these types of properties. If you need more information feel free to contact me.
Arleen Fidler
Sotheby's International Realty
310-259-3320
Web Reference: http://Arleensellsla.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
Pacific:

Here is a similair Trulia post with additional responses:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Property_QandA/What_exactly_is_…

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) is a second dwelling unit created on a lot with a house, attached house or manufactured home. The second unit is created auxiliary to, and is smaller than, the main dwelling. ADUs can be created in a variety of ways, including conversion of a portion of an existing house, addition to an existing house, conversion of an existing garage or the construction of an entirely new building.
A duplex house is defined as a dwelling having apartments with separate entrances for two families. This includes two-story houses having a complete apartment on each floor and also side-by-side apartments on a single lot that share a common wall.[1] By contrast, a building comprising two attached units on two distinct properties is typically considered semi-detached or twin homes but may also be referred to as a duplex.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
Hi Pacific,

A two unit dwelling and a duplex is basically the same thing - just a different name. A duplex is property divided into 2 living units or residences and usually having separate entrances. Hope this helps.

John Barry
Coldwell Banker
323-810-7976
John.Barry@coldwellbanker.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011

People use the term duplex in a few different ways. Please see the information I pulled from the internet with the links below.

Definition: A duplex in real estate normally refers to a structure used for residential purposes and consisting of two living units with a common wall.

http://realestate.about.com/od/df/g/defduplex.htm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The term duplex can be used to describe several different dwelling unit configurations:

The term "duplex" can also be extended to three-unit and four-unit buildings, or they can be referred to with specific terms such as triplex and fourplex or quadplex/quadruplex,[2] with triple decker being a common name for the three-story variant in the Boston area[citation needed]. Because of the flexibility of the term, the line between an apartment building and a duplex is somewhat blurred, with apartment buildings tending to be bigger, while duplexes are usually the size of a normal house.

Especially in dense areas like Manhattan, a duplex apartment refers to a maisonette, a single dwelling unit spread over two floors connected by an indoor staircase. Similarly, a triplex apartment refers to an apartment spread out over three floors. These properties can be quite expensive, and include the most expensive property in Manhattan as of 2006 (according to Forbes Magazine), a triplex atop The Pierre Hotel.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_%28building%29

Happy Holidays,

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct (310) 828-3132
DRE License # 01894323
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
To me, a 2-unit dwelling would be a property that had one dwelling upstairs and a second downstairs. I've seen those in New York, where they're common in Staten Island, etc. The property may have originally been constructed as a single family home.

A duplex is sort of the ancestor of the townhouse. Two houses that share 1 common wall. I've seen those in many places.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
Heather is right on..Go with her comment.
They are basically the same thing...duplex is usually two units connected with a common wall.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 24, 2011
They could be the same thing. A duplex has entries but considered one house. Best, Joshua Rabinovitz.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
They are very similar technically... but I think the answers below make it too complex. In general, buyers use the term duplex for side by side / townhouse units sharing 1 common wall. Where a 2 unit dwelling may be in any configuration.
No difference.

A duplex are 2 units in a single building.

A 2-unit building is a building with 2 units.

It doesn't matter whether they're side by side, or one on top of the other.

Apparently, you've run into a problem where you thought it was one, and you're being told it was the other. Can you provide more information on what the specific problem is?