Curb Appeal in Palo Alto>Question Details

Michael Koval, Home Seller in Palo Alto, CA

Carpet Question. I own a home in Palo Alto.

Asked by Michael Koval, Palo Alto, CA Fri Dec 7, 2007

It's in pretty good shape but carpet needs replacing. Should I replace it prior the sale. Thank you.

Answers

11
John Souerbry’s answer
You want your home to look great in order to get the highest price. If it looks really bad or the color is not a neutral color, I would recommend replacing it. I wouldn't recommend offering a carpet replacement credit if you are receiving good offers with it as-is.
This posting is rather old and Mr. Kova, you may have already sold your property.
I want to answer it anyway.
The best strategy if you're planning to sell your property is to get rid of as many blemishes the property presents as to avoid having to negotiate down your asking price with any potential buyer.
Fix it, then price it to sell if that's what you want. Good Luck!
Replace, but run the type and color by your agent first. If you can do hardwood that is more desirable. Your home is in Palo Alto (I expect the more desirable area?) and buyers want move in ready. Remove the objection and keep the power in your court.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
If you have to even think twice, I say replace it.

turnkey is a good thing! lots of luck to you : )
I'd agree with those of you that say, replace it!

This type of question comes up often when listing homes. There are those of us that are left-brain and those of us that are right-brained. Bottom line is if you don't replace it and offer an allowance, half of your perspective Buyers will be able to envision the home with new carpet and that's fine, however, the other half of your perspective Buyers will not be able to envision it, and will only see the old "I need to be replaced" carpet. If you are dedicated to selling, get it in tip-top shape before you list!

I hope that helps explain why you should.......

Happy Holidays!
Web Reference: http://www.toddnorsted.com
Got a photo? You write that it is in pretty good shape yet needs replacing. Which is it? good shape or needs replacing? If you were a buyer, would the carpet 's condition make you do a double take. It sounds like you should replace it, but depending on where you are in Palo Alto, you might not need to. Also what color is it and what type of carpet is it (ie. that groovy orange shag carpet regardless of condition should be changed out)?
It is my recommendation to do nothing, and price the house to sell! You can always offer a carpet allowance, but it is my belief in this market to price below the last sale in your neighborhood and let the Buyer choose the carpet style and color of their choice. Best of Luck. J.R. Rouse
Web Reference: http://www.jrrouse.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007
I have found that getting houses in tip-top shape (e.g paint, new carpet, professional staging, etc) before you even LIST your property is the best was to get a quick sale and for top dollar, especially n this market. Remember, the most attention your house will get is in the first two weeks of being on the market. Don't waste that "new" period by waiting to see if buyers will accept something in less than show condition. Too many sellers regrettably replace the carpet (or similar defects) AFTER the getting several negative feedback comments. By then, the damage is done. At the very least, you've lost some potential buyers. At the worst, you property will sit & sit and chances are, eventually sell at much less that your original expectation. Let's face it: most buyers don't have that much imagination. Or- maybe too much (if the carpet is raggety-what else is too?). Many suppliers have "60 - 180 days, no payment, no interest" plans, or some similar thing. Often, your real estate professional can introduce you to a vendor who will wait until closing to get paid. If you can in anyway do it, make your property PRISTINE before listing. You will save time and money in the long run.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007
If the carpet is in such a shape that it detracts from the amenities of the room, definitely replace it. Many buyers do not have the vision to see past the negatives in a room. So, all they concentrate on is the bad carpet or whatever the issue. Take a really good look at the room, in fact the whole house, from a buyers perspective. WEhat do you as a "Buyer" see. You mention carpeting, but is the paint in good condition. Holes patched, garage de-cluttered. It usually is never one thing to address, but a collection, that make your property truly ready for market.

I am from your area so I know that Palo Alto has always commanded good prices. But, even given that, by taking the time to get your home in order, at probably little expense, you will truly be able to maximize your asking price.

Good Luck.

Pat
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007
I suggest always doing the work prior to sale if at all possible. Many sellers give a credit for repairs to be done. This is a bad strategy. Most buyers cannot see "what can be" and most think the credit is not enough anyway. You don't have to choose very expensive carpet. Buyers will think "new" no matter the quality - unless of course you are in a luxurious home - then of course it should match the rest of the home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007
Mario Pinedo,…, Real Estate Pro in Beverly Hills, CA
Michael, In today's market, the better the home looks, the most likely it is to sell. I hate to see sellers put in an ungodly amount of money if not needed, but carpet and paint usually give the house a nice, fresh look to get it sold!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007