Curb Appeal in New York>Question Details

Danamish, Other/Just Looking in New York

Can a homeowner tell you not to walk your dog in front of their house? Who actually owns the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street?

Asked by Danamish, New York Sat Sep 12, 2009

I walk my dog around the neighborhood, as all dog owners do, so that he can relieve himself. We walk on the curb side grass and I always pick up after him as law requires. I have had several people who see me tell me that I cannot walk him in front of their houses. It makes me question the facts. I understand that the grass next to the sidewalk on the curb side (NOT the grass directly against the house, but on the other side of the sidewalk) is the owners property in that they are responisble for maintenance. But is it their right to say who can and cannot walk by their house? It is frustrating me because if everyone can tell me not to go by their house, where is he supposed to go? I would really appreciate an answer to this because I want to know my rights regarding this situation. Thank you!

Answers

5
My two shih tsus can walk anywhere they want to on town property and so can your baby!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
I am having the same problem. I am shocked that so many people are so territorial, selfish and petty. It is a sad thing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2016
Thanks for your input, guys. I am contacting City Hall here, as well as a Federation for Dog Owners, so I will let you know what I find out. But I truly love Jo-Ellen's response! :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
I agree with Vickie,

The area you are referring to in most cities/towns/villages is the parkway or easement area. It's technically owned by the city but maintained by the homeowner. I am guessing by "walk your dog" they mean stop and do his business. I would imagine that because the homeowner maintains that area they feel that they would rather you not" walk your dog" there. If they are actually referring to you walking your dog in front of their house, then the sidewalk is a public space and they can not say anything about that. Check with your local ordinance to be sure.
I would say to contact your city ordinances regarding this, as all cities are differnt about certain issues as this.
I have always heard that the area that is within 3-6 feet from the curb (Called the devilstrip in my hometown) is the cities property,not any given home owners,although the home owner takes care of that property as their own. That may be why the home owners are telling you that, and feel it is their property,when in fact the city owns it for issues such as public utilities go,and depending on where the property is located, even sewer and other public utility access areas go. So,your best bet is to call the city and ask them for sure!

Good luck and please let us know what you find out. Being a pet owner myself, I am very curious as to their answer. :-)