Curb Appeal in 94706>Question Details

Seth, Other/Just Looking in Albany, NY

Adding expensive landscaping: worth it?

Asked by Seth, Albany, NY Sun Sep 9, 2007

I am thinking about building a nice rock wall in my backyard to improve the landscaping. The rock alone is several thousand dollars, but I think it will look really nice. Is there any chance I can expect to get the value back in the resale price if/when I sell my home?

Answers

7
Although it will look very nice, you shouldn't expect to get your "investment" back. My advice to clients is that you should first and foremost do it for yourself, your own enjoyment. Of course you will want to keep in mind some neutrality if you are concerned about resale.

If you are making an improvement that takes away an eyesore or a negative that a buyer would strongly object too if there is not an improvement, the value in the buyer's eyes will be higher. It's not that you will get a higher offer as a result of your improvements, but that you will not be "dinged" because of the negative that existed before the improvement.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2007
Exterior appearance and landscaping help in selling the property. It should be manicured and well kept. It may not increase the value but you will get it sold much quicker.
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
I think a big thing to consider with landscaping is what is typical in your neighborhood and what is the value range of your neighborhood. If you're in a $100,000 area for example, several thousand in a wall may be hard to recoup. If you're in a $500,000 area, it may be typical to have a lot more money invested in the landscape design. If you're going to live in the home and enjoy your improvements, go for it and enjoy them. On the other hand, if you are preping your home to go on the market within the next year, maybe just mulching, planting flowers etc may be money better spent.
Web Reference: http://www.RobertaREO.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2007
Depends on how long you plan on living there & the value it give you. If you are looking for a dollar for dollar return - you may be disappointed.

If however, you are getting a personal benefit - you aren't exactly throwing your money away. A well landscaped house - when compared to the same product without good landscaping - will probably sell much quicker. And as they say - time is money.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2007
In my experience, nice landscaping will help sell the house faster, but necessarily for more. If your yard is well kept already, adding the rock wall will probably not increase the resale value noticeably. If you plan on moving in the near future, I would not invest in the rock wall. You can also check the annual cost vs. value report put out by Remodeling Magazine. See link below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
Maybe 40% tops, If it will improve the overall condition of your backyard.
I have had clients that the backyard condition was the most important thing.
Don`t go over the top, keep it appealing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Seth, Great queston. From your details I do not get that you are planning on selling in the next couple of years. Landscaping is always a good investment. It increases the appeal of the property. It depends on why you want the wall. Is it necessary, as a retaining wall? Or is it merely decorative? If you plan of living there a number of years before selling. I see nothing wrong with adding a wall. It will hold its value.