Crime & Safety in Sacramento>Question Details

John, Renter in Roseville, CA

who should I report a scam to? a perso is trying to get a rental deposit wired to him. I now have his name, number and address

Asked by John, Roseville, CA Sat Aug 10, 2013

The is currentlly up fo r sale.

Answers

9
Jim, you took the thoughts right out of my cranium. I have a very good friend who's a leading reality show editing director. I am planning to call her tomorrow and pitch the idea to her. It would be great to get blogs and platforms i.e. Trulia, Zillow, Realty Trac, etc. to participate. I've got the experience and the time to do this. Thanks for the Heads Up!
John A.

This sounds like a good possibility for a reality show. Maybe you could pitch some of your old time news / show biz friends into developing a TV show where the scammers get stung like the "48 hours" stings of child predators, or "Mystery Diners" stings of dishonest restaurant workers. Companies like Trulia, Postlets, Property managers, and others business victims could participate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 11, 2013
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
If you're convinced it's a scam I'd turn it over to the local District Attorney. I think you will find that a police department won't be of much help as they can only react to a committed crime. Until and unless you actually tender any funds and are indeed defrauded as a result most police departments won't do much. Howver, you may find a hungry Deputy DA who's looking for a sting operation to gain some kudus with. Good luck

On another thought you may even want to consider contacting your local TV station as most have a consumer advocate segment and are always looking for good scoops. Catching one of these scammers in action is great TV fodder.

I know I was a consumer advocate for "Marty Emerald" who produced and starred in a daily ABC TV Channel 10 San Diego program called "The Troubleshooter". I had a blast doing several undercover sting operations for her, the California State Contractors License Board, the local DA, the State Attorney General and a few others and helped break up a bunch of so called "Mobile Home Contractors" trying to sell bogus home improvements i.e. roof and driveway coatings, phony earthquake bracing and releveling scams, etc.

Several bad guys went to jail and many more had their scams shut down. It was one of the most fun things I ever did and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself. There's so many rental scams going on out there it would be great if someone in your position had the nuggets to move this ball down the field.

Please feel free to call me if you would like some in depth input on this. I'd be happy to help you. My cell is 760 815-6977 and my email is onthelevel@cox.net. Good Luck
I would suggest reporting this to your local police and asking them to either follow up or point you in the right direction.
The stuff you can find out on the internet. The listing agent of the subject property for sale is also the owner of the company that owns the house. She is a Sacramento Real Estate agent. Has any one notified her yet?
So it looks like John has figured out that the person trying to get funds wired to Indiana is crooked.

So after looking up the house on the internet and looking up the name Jeff Bird and the address in Monticello. I found that there is a hairdresser, Jeff Bird, at a different number on E. Hudson Ct. in Monticello, IN.
Co-incidence?

Often the recipients of the wires in these scams are not the ringleaders, but dupes that are recruited to "work at home" receiving payments, then forwarding those payments after a small processing fee to the huckster that is running the scamming operation, Sometimes it is orchestrated from overseas. The dupes are often unaware that they have been conned into working in a criminal enterprise.

Or has Mr. Birds identity been stolen?

I would guess the FBI has many of these cases already to investigate, but I also guess the boys can always use more work.
Good for you to have been smart enough to spot this scam. Best of luck in finding a great place to rent from an honest person.
1521 brewerton dr. Sacramento ca. 95833.
Below is the persons personal information that he wants the money sent to. ....
I have not sent him anything, I told him the banks were closed and couldn't get the money till monday. He is going to contact me monday morning.
Name : Jeffery Bird Address: 422 hudson ct City ; Monticello State; INDIANA. ZIp Code : 47960
If you have sent any money to these thieves call the FBI at 916-481-9110
Can u provide an address this almost
Happened to one of my clients