Crime & Safety in 95835>Question Details

New To Area, Other/Just Looking in Yucaipa, CA

where are the safest, nicest areas to live in sacramento? anything close to the sacramento airport? we are moving without ever seeing sacramento.

Asked by New To Area, Yucaipa, CA Tue Feb 2, 2010

Answers

27
Nataliya Prokopchuk’s answer
The only place that has NO crime is ... maybe on the moon :)
Here on Earth, no matter where you go, there are no guarantees of safety. That being said, it depends on your budget. If safety is a priority, you may want to look for a nice gated community closer to Roseville or Folsom. But if you want to stay closer to Sacramento and are not working with unlimited resources, check out the crime statistics online and visit the neighborhood at least once before you commit to living there.
And you may want to start with renting, not buying, if you're not sure where in the area you want to be.
Hi New...

Close to the Airport is the Natomas area, primarily in zip 95834... if that's where you want to live... most of the homes there were built after 2000...lots of shopping... nice schools... parks and other amenities there along with a short drive to downtown Sacramento.

We're one of the most affordable areas in California in which to live... so come on up and take a look around and don't worry, you'll find a great neighborhood to move into..

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...
Like others in this post have said, safety and how nice a neighborhood is are relative. However, given the forum, I feel confident telling you that there are some areas you should avoid. Neighborhoods around the interesection of Mack Road and Center Parkway are well-known as high crime areas as well as the Oak Park neighborhood.

The reality is you are going to find portions of just about every neighborhood that will have issues. The best thing to do is take a trip here if possible and check it out yourself.
Web Reference: http://www.sacpd.org
I love how almost every one of these 'answers' went into agent-speak mode: prices, styles, etc...without touching or providing ANY empirical data to support what the original question asked: where are the SAFEST areas to live in the greater Sacramento area?

And a link to sacpd.org, which will give you only a 90 day rolling history of reported crimes? Puhleeeze.

And I would agree that how "nice" a neighborhood IS relative....it's SAFETY is not.

Remember, all of these mopes have buyers and sellers in virtually all area of Sacramento, so if you want a straightforward answer to this question, the last place you're going to get the straight skinny is from a RE agent...sorry, facts is facts.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 27, 2010
Someone already said it best: it depends what you're looking for. Sacramentans are lucky in that there are a variety of neighborhoods to fit almost anyone's needs. Looking for an urban high-rise condo? We've got that. What about something more rural, with acreage for horses? Yep, we have that too. Brand new suburbs? Plenty of those. Charming older neighborhood with unique character? Definitely. Some of the neighborhoods that fit these descriptions:

Natomas (95833, 95834, 95835): Newer suburbs just north of downtown. Mixed community, a ton of newer homes, nice parks and schools, and very close to a burgeoning downtown scene.Most homes have front and back yards. Areas to the north (near Elk Horn) and West of 99/I-5 are newer. Prices range from low $100k's to $300k's.

Downtown/MidTown (95811, 95814, 95816): Close to boutique shops, bars, and restaurants, sophisticated newly renovated lofts, classic bungalows from the 1920-40's, and ecclectic apartment buildings all can be found within blocks of each other in this area around the Capitol and business center of the area. Most homes have smaller lots. Prices range from the mid/low-$200k's to the mid-$400's.

East Sacramento (95819), Land Park (95818), Curtis Park (95817): Established neighborhoods just outside the Downtown/MidTown core. Home to many of Sacramento's elite and up-and-comers, these older, stately homes and quaint bungalows are a mix of semi-custom and custom Tudor-, Craftsman-, and Mission-style architechture on tree-lined streets. Prices range from the high $200k's to the $1M+.

Elk Grove (95757, 95758, 95624, 95829): Sprawling suburb 15 min south of downtown. Nationally recognized school district. Most homes are new(er), there are a ton of new schools, parks, and businesses that have developed in this former farm town. Prices range from the low/mid-100k's to the $500k's+.

Campus Commons (95825), Arden Park (95864), Fair Oaks (95608): Established neighborhoods to the East and the North of the American River. Tree-lined streets, great schools and parks, and elegant homes typify these exclusive neighborhoods. Prices range from the mid/high-$300k's to $1M+.

Rancho Cordova/Sun River/Gold River (95670): Established suburban neighborhoods on the East end of town. Single Family Residences built largely in the 70's and 80's, established schools and parks are spread evenly throughout this community. Prices range from the low/mid-$100k's to the mid-$300k's.

Mather (95655), Anatolia (95742): New-to-Brand New developments on the East end of town. Infrastructure is growing daily. A ton of SFR inventory at great prices ranging from the mid-$100k's to the low-$300k's.

I have extensive experience both living in working in most of these areas. If I can be of service in helping you find a place when you get to town, please contact me as soon as possible!

Patric Carpenter
Tri-Point Realty
DRE# 01870560
916-847-2793 cell
pc@patriccarpenter.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
Hello, I was browsing and you seem to have answered some of my questions. The zip codes will help on my search. Ive been applying to CA State jobs. My goal is to stay in Southern CA. But, my second choice would be to apply to jobs in Sacramento. Ive been browsing thru apt prices and found them VERY reasonable. Especially for 3 BRs, which is what i need. My only dilemma is finding something close to Capitol Mall and a decent area to live. With the information you provided in this site, I think I'll be able to search a little easier now. I plan on making a trip to Sacramento to see if it is a nice fit for me. Just wanted to say Thank you Mr. Carpenter.
Michelle
Fontana,CA
Flag Wed Sep 19, 2012
I don't even know why Trulia has a "crime and safety" category for 95835, which is the place where you are asking this question, because real estate agents can't really address this issue. You can, however, look up crime statistics at the Sacramento Police Department: http://www.sacpd.org/.

What is "safe" to you might be unsafe to another individual, as Keisha points out, so it's a good idea to visit the city first to figure out where you might prefer to live. I always advise my buyers to talk to the neighbors as well. Neighbors will tell you things that even a neighborhood specialist may not know.

Look for pride of ownership in the neighborhoods you tour. Are the lawns green and mowed? Flowers blooming? Sidewalks and entry ways devoid of trash? Or are all the homes boarded up, lawns overgrown with junk cars parked in the yard?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 3, 2010
Hello. How safe are Northgate Blvd. and West El Camino area? That would be close to the North Sacramento or Natomas area. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Brenda
Trulia now has a crime map that is in Beta testing here: http://www.trulia.com/crime/ .Good luck !
Web Reference: http://sellquickAZ.com
granite bay is very nice arden park is too land parks nice but your in the south area prefer to stay away from south sac myself
I would suggest you find a local agent to represent you in your home search here in Sacramento. Are you relocating for work? Will you be staying in an apartment or have arrangements for a temporary living situation here in Sacramento while you are searching for the home that meets your needs, wants, and budget? Whether it is myself or another agent here or elsewhere, that is where you want to begin. I have yet to meet another agent who isn't interested in taking on a new client. Therefore, there will be many offering to be your agent. Should you wish to meet me over the phone, my contact information is below. Good luck in your search and Welcome to Sacramento. I have called this area home since 1990, and as a native Californian find many great things about this area.

Jo Thorpe
Your Realtor-Your Home Specialist
direct: 916-761-1139
Cook Realty
BRE# 01931853
I am partial to the Natomas area. New area and lots of conveniences.
A safe , nice area but not next to the airport would be Sierra Oaks, Wilhaggin,DelDayo,Curtis Park ,Land Park . I could go on and on .I would find a good real estate agent who was born and raised in Sacramento . That would be me . What is your budget ?
Okay, I realize that the original question was asked four years ago, but since I found it randomly by doing a Google search, I'm sure there are still people out there asking about "safe" neighborhoods in the Sacramento area. I work for one of the Sacramento law enforcement agencies and my advice is to avoid Sacramento County altogether. Try the neighboring counties of El Dorado and Placer. If you'd like to be near the airport, try the city of Roseville. Roseville is about 20 minutes northeast of the airport in Placer County. The crime rate is miniscule compared to Sacramento County; the schools are outstanding; Roseville offers the best shopping north of San Francisco; over 30 miles of rural walking/biking trails; gorgeous, well kept parks; beautiful, tree-lined streets and lots of churches. The few nice neighborhoods left in Sacramento County are islands surrounded by a sea of crime riddled "hoods". It's sad but true.

15 year resident of El Dorado County
9 year resident of Sacramento Couny
20 year resident of Placer County (Roseville)
Hello and thank you for the honesty... we are possibly relocating from Seattle area... was wondering if any areas west of Sacramento???
Flag Thu Mar 13, 2014
95835 North Natomas is close to the airport, close to downtown and has a nice dog park on the corner of Honor pkwy and Bridgecross dr. It's at the tip of a large regular park (Regency Park) where you can walk your dog.
If you want to be close to the airport, Natomas is really close to the airport. The zip codes are 95835 and 95834.
Hi i am moving to Sacramento - I'm a young professional, age 30/ female and have a big dog, which area do you recommend for someone in my demography.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Friend, when are you moving? Safe is relative. Fair Oaks probably, but not close to downtown. How about a home with a beautiful gate? Look at 321 Haggin AVe., northgate area, close to freeway and downtown. Beautiful older neighborhood, quiet, walking trails on the levy...gorgeous almost new home. Listed with Real Property Management. 1400.00 mo, 3/2
I used to live off Norwich Court and West El Camino. Haggin Ave. is familiar. Is it still safe?
Flag Fri May 15, 2015
where are the safest, nicest neighborhoods in sacramento?
Sacramento is pretty lame.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
Davis,ca 15 minutes from airport 12 minutes from downtown Sacramento and very safe family friendly excellent schools
Welcome to Sacramento! You will enjoy living in the "City of trees" and the many housing opportunities available right now.
My suggestion is that you do your main research through the Internet, driving through the area during the day and at night. in the beginning rent month to month or, depending on the size of your family, find a roommate until you feel comfortable with the area you like. If you will need more information or a reliable lender, please let me know.
Thank you and again, welcome!
Joseph, I gave you a thumbs up for having some brass ones, and forthrightly stating your opinion about a couple of neighborhoods. So many of us have chosen to curtail our free speech rights in an oversteer correctin\on for the sins of the racist Realtors of the 1950's.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
New To Area,

We just recenly assisted another family who moved to the area without having seen it before. The ideal way would be to make a visit to the area if you can, for a few days, prior to the move. This is to determine what your own personal standard of "nice neighborhood" actually looks like,

As the others have stated, Sacramento is a very diverse city with neighborhoods ranging from not so good to "dynamite". There are Sacramento neighborhoods near the airport as well as neighboring cities.

If you are unable to come to our fair city prior to moving here, the next best step would be a phone consultation with an area agent who can ask you questions to help determine your needs and wants, must haves, and can't stands, and then set out to make that happen for you.

Technology allows for tools such as picture tours and virtual tours of properties which can be sent directly to your email. Virtual tours are video footage of the property and neighborhood which give you the benefits of viewing the property from the comfort of your personal computer.

So a consultation, combined with utilizing technology can help narrow down your options and find you a home in just the right area, in just the right time for your move (maybe even in enough time to take advantage of the homebuyers tax credit before it expires this spring).

Hope that helps! My best to you and happy house hunting!!
Hey there,
There are some really great neighborhoods all throughout Sacramento. It really depends on what you mean by close to the airport as downtown is only about 20min up the freeway. If you are ok with a 20-25 min drive to the airport you really have access to much of what Sacramento has to offer.

If you can, it would be really wise to take a trip here. You can set up some showings, see some different areas and try a nice restaurant or two. Remember that it is very hard to tell what someplace is really like on the internet. Come on out and see what Sacramento has to offer.
James
There are many nice and safe areas in Sacramento. If you want to be near the airport, Natomas area is one choice. Just a few miles south of the airport is Greenhaven/Pocket and Elk Grove. Greenhaven is an established neighborhood and Elk Grove is a new community like Natomas. In short, you have many options. I am a resident of Greenhaven for the last 8 years. If you have any further questions, you can reach me at johnny@homeswithNextLevel.com . Good luck in your home search.
There are several very nice and safe neighborhoods in Sacramento. Of course that all depends on your price range. The area of Natomas is near the Sac Airport and offers newer homes at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, Natomas has been hit pretty hard by the residential real estate crash with lots of foreclosure activity. What this means to you is you may be able to find a nice home with plenty of room in a good neighborhood for less than you think. I have lived in Natomas for 10 years and know the area very well. I'd be happy answer any more questions you may have. Feel free to contact me at richjohnson@jlsrealtyca.com.
Web Reference: http://www.jlsrealtyca.com
How true - Good answer.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
Before I moved to an area knowing nothing about it buying a house I would rent for awhile. That way you can see for yourself if certain areas are really what you want.
BINGO!!!!
Flag Sun Aug 4, 2013