Kuang6435, Renter in Charlestown, MA

what can i do my crazy neighbor play the high bass 11pm to 6am at night? The bass go thought the wall make my apartment shaking like earthquake.

Asked by Kuang6435, Charlestown, MA Sun Jan 30, 2011

my neighbor play the high bass music at night? the bass go thought the wall make my apartment shaking like earthquake. i have been notice him and the management office about that shaking. but my neighbor never stop. it is hard to hear outside the apartment, only can feel it. i call the police many time, but they can't hear anything outside the apartment, and tell no their business, they tell me have to tell the management office. i did tell the management, but they can't handle this problem.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Kuang6435,

Chances are that the noise is disturbing other residents.

I recommend that you make up a petition to have the tenant refrain from playing his/her guitar on the premises. Have the other neighbors sign it and then approach the management company again.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
obviously they see when the police arrive and turn it down. You should make a recording on your phone for the police with a shot of the time on the tv clock. Maybe play it over the phone for the dispatcher. Not sure what your town ordinances are for loud noise, but I'm sure there is a citation that has been issued. Make sure you tell the police when they arrive you would just like them to advise the neighbor to stop after certain hours. Or talk to the neighbor yourself. You could also write a nice letter and leave it for your neighbor explaining the hardship it causes you.
If you are a good tenant, your landlord won't want to lose you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
Most leases and apt complexes have rules about loud noise after 11 pm. Check your lease and contact your landlord or management company to enforce it .Keep sending daily emails or letters every time this happens to your management co. If they are unwilling to respond after this, you may want to put them on notice that you may have to leave your lease early and start looking.

Ask the tenant to come into your unit to hear the problem. Also suggest he please put a layer of foam rubber or sheet of sound barrier to put under the loudspeakers. This will soften the vibrations in the floor.That is what you are hearing.This will help if the tenant will at least try to be considerate .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
If what has been suggested doesn't work fast, try contacting a local TV or Radio station.....the more coverage you get the faster things happen.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
You might also consider speaking with sound and insulation people. They could advise you about various forms of baffling and insulation which would help to dampen the sound.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011

Judy is correct.....it's likely that you can make a "bigger noise" by acting as a group. File your complaint with the local police department and keep doing so until you get action.

This is a vulgar form of noise pollution and should not have to be tolerated by anyone.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
I would continue to call and write the management office and the police. If it is that lous he is in violation of a noise ordinance. Read your condo docs and see what it says about noise. Reference that in your conversations to the Association and the police.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer