Crime & Safety in El Cajon>Question Details

pruitt00, Renter in El Cajon, CA

was wondering if the oakdale ave area between 2nd and main is a safe place to live

Asked by pruitt00, El Cajon, CA Thu Mar 21, 2013

Answers

10
I've been seeing an inordinate amount of these questions popping up on Trulia in recent weeks. As I've said on the other threads I've commented on there's absolutely no way of guaranteeing that any neighborhood will have little or especially NO CRIME.

We're living in a very different time and place today. Unlike anytime since possibly the Great Depression we are living in very volatile socio economic times everywhere in America as well as most places in the World.

What with dynamics like poverty, homelessness, unemployment, illegal immigration and shear desperation it's clearly obvious why crime is on the rise everywhere. What were once considered very safe and secure upscale neighborhoods are now viable high value targets for those who wish to prey on them.

I've livee in a very laid back, low key semi rural North San Diego country neighborhood for the past 33 years. During that time we've never locked the doors on our cars or homes and we've always left our bicycles out unlocked.

In the past several months we've had an influx of multi-family or multi-tenant renters moving into several of the single family residents that have come up for rent throughout our neighborhood. Sometimes there are as many as a dozen old cars and trucks parked in the driveways and on the streets.

Common sense has to tell you that these folks aren't the most financially privileged or steadily employeed. Hence, lot's of folks are hungry and desperate to pay the rent so voila our once very safe and quiet neighborhoods become not so safe and secure.

As a result we've seen a dramatic increase in break-ins and burglaries. Fortunetley there has been no violent crime. Just folks stealing bicycles, lawn mowers & myriad garden tools or anything of value that's not secured. We even have a neighbor who's had 4 chickens stolen in the past month. Duh........ya think they might be hungry?

So we took measures into our own hands and with the help of local law enforcement we've facilitated a NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM. Since the signs have gone up and we've installed or activated existing security systems and video cameras and our buddies at the Sheriff's Dept have been making their presence known and we've all been keeping in touch with one another and notifying one another when we'll be out of town things have really calmed down. In fact there have been no incidents in the past couple of months.

So the long and short of it is that there is no totally safe and secure way of keeping your neighborhood free of crime. The best thing you can do is become involved in your community and stay aware of the folks who live around you.

I have worked and lived in El Cajon for 30 years. The area that you are referring to is not the greatest but also not a dangerous area. There is a lot of apartments mixed with retail stores in that area and with that comes some crime. I recommend checking http://www.crimemapping.com to get real data on crime in the area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
No! No! and No! Born, raised and been here 61 years. My mom was robbed a year ago and then me six months ago. We both lost everything and although we know who did it, the cops don't even blink an eye or lift a finger. Even with that aside, El Cajon is not the same anymore anywhere unless you want to put in big locks and keep big guns around. That is just the way it is since our wonderful City leaders sold out for anything and everything that had money attached, such as federal subsidies, builders fees, etc. Maybe La Mesa.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 30, 2013
Absolutely NOT! I've lived in El Cajon for years and would never consider living anywhere near there.
Realtors are not allowed to comment on items like safety...I usually provide all who ask with a great resource so you can do your own homework:

http://www.crimemapping.com

You can plug in any address or intersection, and it will inform you of all the crime statistics for that location.

Well, it depends on your situation, but it is by far not one of the better areas due to the number of low income apartments and that Oakdale is directly off of I-8.
There are some much better areas to look into.
What exactly are you looking for?
Thank you, Michael Robe 619 590 3008
First of all Oakdale runs parallel with Oakdale, but I know the general area you are thinking of living. Yes I would say it is a OK area. For hard data on crime in that area contact El Cajon Police Department.

Phil Premier Realty
I lived there 1.5 years ago and it was fine. I never felt unsafe or scared or worried.
May I suggest you contact the El Cajon Police Department for direct crime statistics on that area. They would be of the most help to you.