Nadine Merwin, Home Buyer in Skokie, IL

thinting about buying a property on N Bell, is the area safe enough?

Asked by Nadine Merwin, Skokie, IL Tue Jan 22, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/homes/Illinois/Chicago/sold/22977630-7…

Answers

14
I understand the fair housing process..... And at the same time, I think it is just very hypocritical... Like you say, I can get the info from a lot of different sources, other than you, who are the ones who are supposed to know the city the best... besides the people who live in the neighborhood, of course. But laws being as they are, I totally understand the fact that you cannot provide me with any detail. I will therefore make my own researches!
Thank you for your help!
Nadine
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
I grew up in west rogers park (west of ridge) between bell and oakley. It has always been quite safe and fairly quiet. I recently moved back by there with my kids, ages 10-16, from the north suburbs and they feel very safe walking around there at all times. I still have friends who live in the area and say the same. You need to be careful in general anyway, that said it can get a bit strange near howard street and near warren park late at night on weekends but again no place is immune. Kids are happy with the move.
Fair Housing Fair Housing Fair Housing
Nadine,

It is best to visit the area at different times of day to see if you would feel comfortable there. Google "Chicago Crime Map" for some unbiased data.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
We cant comment on this type of stuff. I suggest you go there at all different times of the day and night, and on weekends. Only you know whats best for you and your family.
wELL, I HAD NOT DREAMED OF GETTING SO MANY USEFUL ANSWERS IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME! Thank you very much to all of you, I will follow your wise advices and check it out! I am not an easily scared person, and when I mention "safe", I mean "safe enough to go at after dark to walk the dog without being assaulted, or to come back from a movie or a restaurant without being robbed... I will get information!
Once again, thank you for your prompt answers, which are truly appreciated!
Nadine, visit the area at several different times of day, and see how comfortable you are each time. No one but you can assess if the neighborhood is one you should consider as a place to live.
Generally, real estate agents are going to defer to websites and the local police when asked this question. The reasons are:

1. Agents are leery of answering anything that could even remotely be construed as "steering", which is illegal.

2. "Safe" is a relative term. What's safe to me, might not be considered safe to you.

3. Agents don't want to feel/be held responsible should they attest to a location being safe, you buying there, then getting your car/home broken into the next day.

Additionally - as a buyer - I wouldn't want to trust the opinion of a real estate agent who is trying to ultimately sell me a house. It's always best to get this information from an impartial source. Knock on a few doors, check with the local police, and consult the different websites that offer this information freely.
I think it is safe enough.. I suggest we get together at my office , drive up there and have coffee
You can go to the local police district and retrieve information crime statistics in the area. This information is also available online.

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPat…

Hope this helps!

Jamye Paul
Broker
Kale Realty
775-598-9309
Dear Nadine,

The Taboo question to Realtors. Here are a couple of websites http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/ ,
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime/

I also recommend that you go by the area in the morning, afternoon, and night to see for yourself.
That property was sold. Try realtor.com or find an agent to get you real time data. Chek with the police department or ask friends/family or co workers about crime.
As REALTORS® we can not assist you in answering this question per the ethical guidelines of our practice. I would highly recommend contacting your local police department. They can provide you with types of calls to the area and the frequency. This is a good rule of thumb as a starting point. Safety and comfort levels are personal based on one's experiences.

Also, visit with neighbors in the area. You may want to drive around the area at different times of the day. Always trust your gut instinct. In today's world it is best to be aware of one's surroundings at all times.

Hope these ideas help!
http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime

Due some drivebys at differnt times of the day and see if the are meets your needs as far as shopping, schools, transportation, etc.