Crime & Safety in 33705>Question Details

Sue Barr, Other/Just Looking in 33705

the crime stats are scaring me. can kids still roam the streets near downtown st. pete/just west of HRP area and be safe?

Asked by Sue Barr, 33705 Sat Oct 24, 2009

Answers

10
I dont agree with all this pessimism here. Kids have roamed the streets of Tierra Verde for years & they are perfectly safe. Kids can roam the streets of high end communities, rural communities and many other areas throughout the nation. I think the answer to your question is simply 'No, kids are not safe to roam the streets of downtown St Petersburg'. Look elsewhere if you are interested in finding a kid friendly neighborhood.
is 2001 82nd a safe area in st pete fl
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
is 2001 82nd a safe area in st pete fl
I am not sure what or where HRP is but I can tell you that if you prepare your child for overall safety then they will most likely be safe anywhere. Downtown St Petersburg is a magnificent place to live. I know because I live there. Prepare your child to be safe as an individual whether he/she is at home, in a shopping mall, walking alone on a street, in a crowd, etc and you will feel much better about where your child is living - any where your child is living, not just in St Petersburg.
My grandchildren have walked through the downtown area of St Pete and had no problems. Of course they are generally going from point A to point B so you couldn't really call that "roaming." I think in any city today if children are "roaming" the streets it is expected that they are going to cause or be part of trouble. We have a tremendous amount of parks and recreational programs in the downtown St Petersburg area which would be of benefit to you. I live and work in downtown St Petersburg and safety is not a problem as long as you use common sense and instill tht into and expect it from your children.
A gated community is a great solution to this issue. We have recently located to Caya Costa in North St. Pete and now our kids are always out and about without a lot of worry.
Sue,
I do not know what "just west of HRP area" means but I live and work in downtown St. Petersburg. I have been here for nearly 25 years, and while the city has changed TREMENDOUSLY and is a very vibrant place to live, work and play, as a mother I can honestly say I would never let my kids just "roam the streets" as you mentioned. Depending on how old your children are, there may be places you would be comfortable having them visit that would be fine. There are beautiful shops and restaurants along Beach Drive, there are parks and activities nearly every day of the week that they might find of interest, etc. but in all of of that, you would want to know where they were at all times. That's not a St. Petersburg thing. It's an our-world-today thing.
Sue, the issues with letting any kid roam the streets are myriad. A parent simply can not let their children roam regardless of the community in which they live. From the opulent monotony of gated walled communties to eclectic old Florida communities, a parent can never put all their faith in the assumption the community shares the same commitment to your lifestyle values and standards. There is no substitute for vigilant parenting and well prepared children. Unfortuneately, the bad people have cars also, so the burbs are not the solution either. Vigilant parenting and well prepared children is the best option for providing the safest environment for your child.

These are incredibly complex and challenging times to raise a family. Sue, thank you for recognizing the need to raise your family in a nurturing, safe environment where your family can experience a full spectrum of life opportunities.
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 25, 2009
Best as a parent know where your children are at all times. Certainly don't prefer hear about a child missing and etc. Rare exception any community in US where children roam streets any longer

Few towns in Dallas area, most don't

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 24, 2009
Sue,

This may be an issue best directed to the local police or county sheriff's department. They are equipped with the information necessary to provide you with accurate information.