Crime & Safety in Gilroy>Question Details

Maria Gil, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

so the area in Gurries Drive is one before the high crime area?

Asked by Maria Gil, San Jose, CA Fri Aug 2, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3124782130-231-Gurries-Dr-Gil…

Answers

5
Maria
As a past resident of Gilroy for thirty years I have had owned four different homes in various areas of Gilroy. I'm not a realtor, broker or home loan person. Here's the bottom line...Location..Location.. The best area I owned was a home off of Sunrise in the North part of Gilroy. Newer homes and near the newer schools. That was the reason I moved there is for my kinds to attend these newer schools. Now at the time I bought Christopher High was not built but I knew that some day it would be plus the area is really nice. I sold the Sunrise home five years ago, did very well, and purchased a house on the other side of town near the Gilroy High. Now the area is an older established area with very nice homes.In fact I preferred my last home over all the other homes I owned in Gilroy because of construction. However the area was not so good as far as crime and just overall character. I since sold that home last year and did very well on this house as well. I actually moved out of the area in Northern California to get out of the Silicon Valley rat race. The area I currently live in is way more affordable and compared to crime rate is way less then Gilroy. Be careful when buying a home especially now, its easy to get caught up in the frenzy of the market that if you don't but a home now you will never be able to purchase one. There are always options! Don't let realtors sway you and some will. Another key important note is always always have a home inspection done my a known good Licensed contractor. I don't mean some flt by night outfits by a person whom as built homes and knows about them. Last but not least find yourself a good realtor..by that someone whom is a local relator whom knows the area and has a proven track record.Get references..and their resume. There are so many fly by night realtors out there.. I don't care how long they have been i business just research their background. I worked with many realtors when looking for a home. If a relator objects you to working with another agent tell them to bugger off and find another one.They are paid good money and thats their job. I always had good luck with Coldwell Banker or Kellar Williams in Morgan Hill. Cheers and good luck.
Just go there drive around see if you like the area and if there are any homes for sale in your price range.

BTW: Gilroy home prices have risen on the average 50% ($/sf) since first of Jan, 2013. The prices today are not they were just awhile back.

Sam Shueh
That Depends on how you define High Crime. Morgan Hill and Gilroy both are very low in comparison to San Jose and Oakland (the murder capitol of the world) Some areas do appreciate better than others, BUT you must remember a "good" area today could have bad people living there and a "Bad" area could be experience a renewal because the buyers that buy there decide to make the schools better and the area cleaner. Be very careful about classifiing an entire neighborhood "Good or Bad" Just like school districts things can change and you could be the very person that causes the change to happen, either direction. As a wise man once said Life is what YOU make of it.
And a wise man also said "Location....Location...."
Flag Fri Feb 14, 2014
Hi Maria,

As Terri said, Realtors are prohibited from referring to areas as "high crime" areas or, undesirable areas.

There are some charming homes near there and newer homes in the western and northern parts of Gilroy. I recommend you drive down the streets you are interested in - in the evening and on weekends. You will sense if those neighborhoods are a good fit for you.

Mike Walters
831.630.3717 text/cell
Mike@CaHomes411.com
We agents cannot speak to crime. There is a website http://www.CrimeReports.com you can check on.

I suggest buyers knock on neighbors doors to ask their opinion, visit the local retail stores and ask the employees, and visit the neighborhood at all hours of the day, night, weekends, and plan to test drive your own commute both ways
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com