Crime & Safety in Richmond>Question Details

seannemairi, Renter in Richmond, VA

my fiancee and i are moving to the 300 block of west marshall st. i've never lived in an urban city, is this area safe?

Asked by seannemairi, Richmond, VA Tue Apr 16, 2013

We're moving up to richmond from virginia beach. i've never REALLY had to worry about my house getting broken into or getting robbed on the street so i'm kind of nervous about the move. we visited the apt and it seems like it's in a nicer area. we know all about not leaving things in your car etc etc but i've never not felt secure in my own home. thoughts?

Answers

3
Brent’s answer
As a long time Richmond resident, I wouldn't feel unsafe living there but it's still an up and coming area. I'd guess around 30-40% of the row homes have been renovated as opposed to the Fan and Museum District where it's close to 80-90%. 300 W Marshall Street is a just a few blocks from Broad & Grace Streets where there are coffee shops, art galleries, top notch restaurants, music venues, and theaters. If you are new to city life and not buying, I'd try to find a place in the Fan or Museum District because it's very close to all of the restaurants and attractions, but you'll be a little safer at night. That said, you still have to be smart and nowhere in the city is 100% safe.
The best place to find out about the crime rates in your new area is to visit the City of Richmond . The web address is http://www.richmondgov.com/Police/CrimeIncidentInfo.aspx. I never leave anything visible in my car, it is asking for trouble and I always lock my doors. Living in a city requires extra diligence but fearing for your safety is not necessary. I have personally lived in pretty much every area of town and have never once been burgled. I have had my car messed with but that could just be drunk college students being college students. You can certainly get more piece of mind with having an alarm installed and getting renter's insurance. Good luck, enjoy your new casa!
Realtors can't speak on the safety of areas, but you can check with the nearest police precinct on crime stats for the area. Hopefully you'll get some responses from non-realtors! Another option is just talking to neighbors who already live in the area.