Brittanyjrog…, Renter in Denver, CO

it shows that that this property has a high crime rate and I was wondering how bad it really is.

Asked by Brittanyjrogers, Denver, CO Wed May 23, 2012

Do people break in to the apartments? cars? mugging? rape? murder?

Answers

10
Hi Brittanyjrogers: You may have already answered this question to your own satisfaction, but I noticed that the link to crime statistics offered below by Lori Kingsbury no longer works. You can try this one:

http://www.denvergov.org/PoliceDepartment/CrimeInformation/C…

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.981.1617
info@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
I have found that the Denver web site keeps great statistics. I live in a "low crime rate area" My golf clubs where stolen from my front porch ten minutes after I put them there. Go figure.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
I agree with the other agents, you can either check with the local police department or check online government crime statistics.
Your local police department probably maintains a web page with the information you are seeking. Remember newspapers? Some are still around and they keep stats on crime. The Longmont Times-Call has a map that illustrates the different crime patterns and stats - for what crime we do have. Longmont and Highlands Ranch were reported in the news as two of the safest places in the state.

There are also web sites that show the addresses for sex offenders.

Brittany, these are general questions and you can say that generally there are these types of crimes anywhere - though some parts of Colorado may not report a single murder in an entire year.

Suz
I suggest to my clients that time they spend in a neighborhood. You should walk about during the day and at evening. Do you feel safe? It is a relative thing. If you don't feel safe, I would not invest in a property. Some of my clients have careers working with court-ordered clients. Those clients use Alarm systems in addition to living in extremely safe neighborhoods. Safety is a personal decision you need to make for yourself.
Brittany,

Crime rates and community safety is not something we as Realtors should directly communicate about according to our ethical guidelines. But we are glad to direct you to the government and other sources to give you the statistics that you need to make your decisions about a community. I recently wrote a blog about this and there are some great links to sites that give you Denver statistics as well as crime stats for all of the communities that might interest you - http://bit.ly/zSBnoR

The other thing i would suggest is to take a drive through the communities that interest you. Go at different times of the day and later at night to get a feel of what is comfortable or a little sketchy for you. No community is perfect and what is comfortable and acceptible for one resident can be very different for another. Let me know if I can help you further with deciding the 'right' place for you to live.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://theRobertMcGuire.com
You're asking 'how bad' is a high crime rate? As you can see by other answers, some people are willing to live in an area where there have been 'only a couple' of murders and many reports of other crimes. Why? I suppose they love the lifestyle enough that if they fall victim they can shrug it off.

It seems you want to live in the community, and you're looking for people to tell you it's OK. Well, you've gotten that from a couple of real estate pros.

I have a question for you: Are you going to rely on the word of real estate agents more heavily than you would on other people's, because they are the pros?
I very much agree with Greg. I have lived in the neighborhood for 12 years and in that time my car was only broken into once and quite honestly that was my fault. People that break into cars are people of opportunity. I left valubles in plain sight on the seat. We need to remember that this is a city. As for personal safety, I have never felt threatened in any way. I walk this neighborhood at night and have never been bothered. As for murders, I know of a couple (in 12 years) and they were not random shootings. Also, lets remember again, this is a city...so be smart. There is actually more break ins in Wash Park, Stapleton etc. muggings are more in LODO when there are events and bars letting out. Overall I think our city is really safe! Check out this website for more information to make your own determination.
http://www.denvergov.org/sopa/CurrentCrimeStatistics/2011Sta…

Feel free to call with more questions.

Lori Kingsbury
Parkview Real Estate
303.570.2522
Real estate folks aren't allowed to provide anything but resources you can access to glean information about crimes in a neighborhood. Best answer is to contact the police department in the area and study their data. http://holbenhomes.com
I of coarse am not the police and most questions like this should be directed that way, however I would say no. The crime rate is reflective of how close to downtown it is and the parking lots for the ball park. There is a high rate of car break in's however the vast majority of those happen in the over night parking lots down by the ball park.

As far has mugging rape and murder go, I would say it is very safe. In the nine years I have lived there I have walked home in the dark many times and have never once had an issue. I know of two murders in the neighborhood in that time and in both cases they were realitives in a family dispute.

You can go on the DPS website to get true numbers that are broken down by incident. I hope this helps.

Feel free to ask more or call.

Greg Hinkson
303-946-1772