Crime & Safety in Buffalo>Question Details

Mom, Home Buyer in Elma, NY

is there any murders?

Asked by Mom, Elma, NY Wed Jul 11, 2012

This question was asked from…

Anna M Brocco’s answer
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
A licensed Realtor in WNY has to obey to the Code of Ethics. We as professional can not steer, discriminate or advocate our clients on where to buy or not. Said so there is crime in every corner of the world. Internet is a powerful source of information, when it comes to crime - the local police department is the most trustworthy place to reach out for all related info.
I have lived in the Amherst School District my whole life. (33 years) I absolutely love my neighborhood and also the schools i attended. I went to Smallwood Drive Elementary. Amherst is a very safe place. I have only heard of a handful of crime that has happened in the past 33 years.
Amherst was voted in the top five safest cities in the country several years in a row and I have several friends who live there who love it. This is a very low crime suburb. Sections closer to the city line can be dicier but I doubt you would have any trouble in that area, at least with the type of hardcore, violent crime you are describing. Housing prices are often a good indicator and people would not be asking that much if the area had a bad reputation. You can also google "crime maps" and look up the crime by zip code.