Crime & Safety in Dallas>Question Details

Ashley Oney, Home Buyer in Garland, TX

is there an easy way to tell if a neighborhood is safe in tarrant county and surrounding area?

Asked by Ashley Oney, Garland, TX Fri Dec 16, 2011

Answers

6
You can try looking at http://www.trulia.com/crime/
I always suggest you talk to the CRO or community resource officer at the police department.

The problem here is everyone has a different idea of safe. In a discussion I had yesterday with a friend was that I recently went in a house in what I consider the hood and they had no security and the windows were open to let in fresh air and no one was home? They weren't that worried I guess?

I also remember one time I lived in Dallas and when talking to the police after my house got robbed. I told them I think I live in a good safe neighborhood and their response was well of course, that's where the bad guys come to get their good stuff...makes sense.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Call the local police station and ask for the CRO, community resource officer. They can answer your questions about crime statistics in the neighborhood you are considering. You can check the web for registered sex offenders by location as well.

I also recommend driving through the area in both daylight and at night time. Knock on a few neighbors doors and ask for opinions. See if there is a neighborhood crime watch group.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
You can google search via zip code.

Direct Link for DFW homes for sale

http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5055822
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
I always recommend driving the neighborhood at night as well as the day to my clients to make sure they know what they are getting into. I also agree with Britta regarding calling the local authorities and checking websites. But driving the neighborhood is easy...just remember to be safe and if you need financing visit my website. We close in 15 days
"Safe" is a relative term. No neighborhood is completely crime free. My advice to you is to contact the police department of the city you are thinking about moving to for complete crime statistics for that area.

Good Luck !