Crime & Safety in Hazel Park>Question Details

I39mTheBestG…, Renter in Hazel Park, MI

is the neighborhood safe for children?

Asked by I39mTheBestGrammy, Hazel Park, MI Mon Jan 14, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/rental/3101178495-804-E-Evelyn-Ave-Haz…

Answers

4
Useless information being provided by Realtors, business as usual. I know they legally they aren't supposed to say anything (which I think is BS), yet there is no shortage of realtors that will bend rules when it suits them.

Forget going to the police station and hanging out at meetings, that's not an efficient use of your time. You can find all the info you need for this and surround cities by going here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Hazel-Park-Michigan.html

The one good suggestion that has been made: When you're looking at the your house, don't be shy about going up to the neighbors who are outside and asking them how they feel about the area, the percentage of renters, etc.

My personal opinion: This area is reasonably safe, particularly the areas further north of 8-mile. The crime here is mostly limited to minor property crime and some auto theft, and because it's such a small community, I think the index make it look worse than is. The area overall reputation of the city could be better, but from talking to about 10 people I know who live here currently and say they are happy and feel the reputation is not deserved. Additionally, I talked to the neighbors in the houses I was considering in that area, and they said there were few incidents. As I mentioned before, areas can change rapidly a couple blocks over and definitely on the Detroit border. I don't have kids, but from what I've heard the school system is average. Functionally, there is no difference between the north end up Hazel Park and the areas south of Lincoln Ave in Madison Heights (even the price difference in the homes in negligible in most cases). I live in MH now, and have canvas these areas extensively.
This is a legitimate concern and question. However, we as Realtors are prohibited from answering it. Sorry! However, we can provide you with some direction that will enable you to find the answer on your own.

First, and the most obvious one, go directly to the local Police Department (the Hazel Park Police Department in this case) and inquire about the statistics.

Second, pick up a local paper (the Madison Park C&G Paper in this case) and look at the “Police Blotter”. You could also check them out on line.

Finally, pick an area that you are interested in and drive through it at different times of the day. Do you feel comfortable? Maybe, while you are driving through, stop when you see one of the residents out and simply ask them what they have to say about their community.

I hope that this information has been of value and good luck!
One of the best ways to learn about any community is 1st start reading their local newspaper, subscribe to any home magazines on the area, hang out at the coffee shop and get to know the locals. Meet the people at school, go to chamber of commerce meetings and yes check with the police dept.

I live in a small town of 1000 and everyone knows when someone steps out of line. Pretty awesome to know you could ask most people for help at 2am and they'd come!
This is not a question that be addressed by local real estate professionals, Besides, what your idea of safe can widely significantly from others. You'll want to contact the Hazel Park police for crime stats. Good luck!