Crime & Safety in Chicago>Question Details

Patch87939, Home Buyer in Oak Park, IL

is it safer in oak park or evenston il?

Asked by Patch87939, Oak Park, IL Fri Jun 8, 2012

Is it safe to commute ie L, Metra or driving from there? Can I put my teen on a train to go into the city?

Answers

9
I was disturbed recently by raw porn--full frontal nudity, dog collars etc. on the covers, huge display, taller than I am--in the village center, at the 'news stand,' situated right next to children's stores and other 'nice' places. It was right by the door, like an eight by six foot display. I started to cry--I have a new granddaughter and it just hit me so hard--and the owner or employee came over and told me to leave. This news stand is right next to two train stops, the El and the Metra both, right in the heart of town. It says something about what people silently put up with there, or at least it made me wonder what else they allow in their community. Also, you have to ride the Red Line to get to the Purple line to get from downtown Chicago to Evanston, and the Red Line is rough! I take the trip fairly often to go to a fabric store in Evanston.

Oak Park is where my own traditional Catholic church is (Washington and Ridgeland, 10:00 Sunday mass is a great one, authentic gregorian chant) and I ride the Green line to get to it several times a week. The Green line is not as bad as the Red line, in my opinion, riding them both. There are fewer really disturbed seeming people on the Green line, mainly good working people are the rule. The Green train stations are well maintained and light, not like the Red line.

These might be some things to watch out for, when you check it out for yourself.

Do you have to go for just those two choices? The Brown line is quite civilized. I live in Lincoln Square. You can get some nice house deals right now in Albany Park toward the end of the Brown line.

The train ride here is pretty important to the quality of life, especially if you're a kid and a non-driver. Good luck!!!
Oak Park is immediately to the West of the city
Evanston is immediately to the North of the city.

Both connected by the EL train.

From Oak Park can take Eisenhower (I-290) into the city or major arterial roads.
From Evanston can only take major arterial roads.

Evanston has Northwestern and is right on the Lake.

As per safety, it is relative to one's own experiences and expectations but always be diligent regardles of where you live. Travel to both cities and do some drive bys at different times of the day to see how you feel about the proposed neighborhoods you plan on living in. Visit the local police department as well.
Thank you to all. We are moving from a college town in the rural south. I feel as if we are stepping into the land of Oz. The small town feel, historic nature and schools of both Evanston and Oak Park are appealing so we will check both out and see what feels most comfortable.
they are both dangerous and require the parent or other adult in the house to go to the spot they want to live and make a decision for them selves..
Safer is a relative term. Both Oak Park and Evanston have areas that are close to high crime zones. For instance Evanston in next to Juneway Terrace, Oak Park is close to the Chicago neighborhood of Austin. Having said that; crime can happen anywhere. You shouldn't convince yourself that a "good" neighborhood will insulate you from the outside world, although it will diminish some of the immediate bad effects of high crime areas.

I lived in Oak Park and Evanston and both are relatively safe but if you walk around or ride public transportation you have to keep your wits about you at all times, a cell phone is handy too.

The best advice has already been given: Walk the area yourself, at different times of the day. Look for graffiti, or people hanging out on street corners, boarded up buildings, these things say a lot about the neighborhood and what goes on there..
Yes, the best ways to determine if a neighborhood is right for you is to research it, visit it yourself at different times of the day and night, and experience the commute yourself. As Realtors, we can thoroughly research the housing market and help you find the ideal place in any given neighborhood, once you've decided that neighborhood is right for you and yours.
Hi, You can visit http://www.HomeFair.com and click on the "City Reports" section to compare zip codes. They will give you crime stats and in-depth area demographics.

Chris
We cant comment on this stuff because of state law.

I would just do your own research. Go ride the L yourself. Check out the areas and different times of the day, night, and weekend. Only you know whats best for your teen.
That is a very relative question and R E agents are not likley to respond beacuse of Fed anti discrimination laws etc. Our normal response is to suggest you checkwith police crime statistics and ask family/friends/coworkers what they think.
I grew up in Evanston and have worked in Oak Park.