Ubeda, Other/Just Looking in East Flatbush, Brook...

i am an indian and looking out for an apartment on new york ave, east flatbush is it a safe locality. is it safe to travel at around 10.30 pm alone ?

Asked by Ubeda, East Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY Tue Mar 2, 2010

Answers

6
Ubeda,

We agree with Nirmala's answer below. And in addition to the nyc police dept. site you can visit http://www.neighborhoodscout.com. You type in city and state and then you can choose distance (I would do a 5 mile radius within Brooklyn). On the map you can select the neighborhood down to the block level and there is a list on the left and you can click there.

Any neighborhood can be unsafe when traveling alone at night so it's always important to be wary and carry a cell.

Bonnie Chernin & David Rogoff
Dear Ubeda,

As agents it is illegal for us to comment on the safety of specific neighborhoods. My first hand experience with dealing with any neighborhood is to ask the local beat cops that patrol the specific neighborhood, what their experiences have been. My personal experiene with the neighborhoods in some parts of Brooklyn, is the neighborhood changes a bit from one block to the next but that common in all areas. I would strongly recommend that you walk around the area during the morning, evening and on weekends to get an idea as to what you will see day to day. I have also attached a link that you can check local crime statistics in this area.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, should you have any additional questions. Good luck on your home search.

Nirmala Caraballo
Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty
Tel.: 646-479-7873
E-mail: nhcaraballo@yahoo.com
As far as safety is concerned your best source of information is the local police department--why not visit, ask all your questions and hear all there is to hear firsthand--

Anna
Ubeda,

If you aren't already working with a broker I would be more than happy to assist you in your search for a new home. Please feel free to call me and we can get started.

Corey Wasserman, Associate Broker
Bergen Basin Realty
917-560-2615
Do you have any friends who live in the area, they would probably be the best to ask. I would rely on someone local, unless a person from across the country has lived there and is truly familiar. What I would suggest though is to also go to the area at that time of night and see how many people are out on the street where you would be walking. My feeling about any neighborhood in NYC is that the emptier it is, the less likely it is to be safe to walk alone. If there are plenty of people out walking at that time, it would be more safe. As they say, there is safety in numbers.
Hello Ubeda,
Not at all, but if it is necessary that you travel alone at that time, be sure to:
a) let someone know about it and your specific location.
b) carry your cell phone full charged prior leaving to your destination.
c) carry mace (spray to attacker's eyes)
d) Run during attack.