amie.sdurfee, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

how safe is it for two young women to live off north orleans street?

Asked by amie.sdurfee, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 11, 2012

Answers

12
Crime happens in every big city, and it is impossible to know where the bad guys will strike.

If you are considering a specific area you are unfamiliar with, I would stop by there at different times of the day and night to get a feel for how comfortable you feel. Good luck!

Search for properties for sale or rent by map - http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com
Email me directly - sarahz@innovativepropertyconsultants.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 15, 2012
Dont forget crimes stats are controlled by the government

the gov has a vested interest in telling you want they want

actually , go to the area day and night and check it out

find out how much sec8 is in the area

its YOUR TAX$ PAYING FOR IT SO THAT INFO SHOULD BE PUBLIC

yes, do check the crime states but dont forget what I posted and whatever the stats are KNOW THAT ITS USUAL UNDERREPRESENTED and that DA's plea down cases so when they do show up in the stats violent crimes are pushed down as some other incident
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
I second Brady's suggestion. Go to everyblock.com and put in the address where you're considering living. You will get a feel for the crime that's occurring in the general area. Then sign up to receive daily emails about what's happening, it's a pretty cool site. It's also a good idea to put your current address in to compare crime with an area you're familiar with vs one you're not. Good luck with your move!!!
now that the leftists have lost another round and the good guys will get to carry, the streets will be safer to some point

as soon as the obama crowd sees that the good guys might be carrying and a few bad guys find out the hard way, the streets will get safer
Stop with the "crime happens everywheres" garbage

Oakland is more dangerous than Atherton , even though, "crime happens everywheres"

you are correct to be concerned about crime and the fact that realtors wont give you the real info

THE BAD REALTORS THAT IS
As you may have noticed, we are bound by the high moral authority of the upstanding Realtor Code, but what we can legally say is:

Two young women may like the convenience of that late night Indian place, on the West side of Orleans, just north of Chicago, or strolling home from either the Green Door Tavern (tell your friends how old it is, cause it's old), or having a bowl of pasta at Club Lago, or mabye going to Club Lago first, then going to the Green Door, then getting an Italian beef at Mr. Beef, then realizing you wanted some taxi driver briyani on the way home and hittin' up that Indian place.

North Orleans. What a place.
Chicago is less safe than NYC at night, but if you have your wits about you, you can enjoy your home area day or night. Great advice here about noting the situation and the traffic patterns.
Be alert - get to know people in your neighborhood - don't carry cash or wear flashy jewelry. Trust your instincts
just curious - Chicago is that dangerous that no one should walk alone anywhere in the city at night?

NYC is a much safer place to live, I guess, because, for the most part, and in numerous neighborhoods,, men and women walk around alone all the time at night.........and make it home safely!

:)
I personally feel comfortable in Chicago walking alone, but not at certain hours and/or inactive areas. That would go the same for any American city for me. The police blotter from my small college town was worse than my current Chicago neighborhood.
Flag Thu Jul 12, 2012
Don't ever walk alone in ANY neighborhood in Chicago at night, man or woman. The price points of a neighborhood don't matter when it comes to safety since bad things can happen anywhere, which is why Realtors can't comment on safety. However, you can always contact the City of Chicago Police to ask them if there are certain hot spots for criminal activity.

You can also drive around at different hours of the day to see if the activity changes. Everyone's comfort level is different. Be safe!
Due you due diligence on the neighborhood.

Is it convenient for your work/school
Does it have parking?
Does it have public transportation?
Is the area well lit?

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/clearmap_crime_sums/startpage.htm
You should certainly research the area thoroughly; sites like everyblock.com can give you a good sense of what the neighborhood is like, and crime reports are readily available online. Realtors by law cannot address issues of crime and safety in Chicago, so you shouldn't expect to get an answer to your question here!
We cant comment on safety. I am sorry.

However, I would go there at all different times of the day and night. Also go on the weekends Only you would know whats best for you guys.