Crime & Safety in Salem>Question Details

Mnlt5, Home Buyer in Rockingham County, NH

does Salem N.H crime rate get affected by it being close to Lawrence Massachusetts

Asked by Mnlt5, Rockingham County, NH Sat Oct 24, 2009

I can certainly understand your question, seeing that Lawrence is but a short trip to Salem, NH via Rte 28 through Metheun, or cruising up 93 north to Exit 1 & 2. I think if you are concerned about the crime rate in any town (MA or NH) then looking through police logs and crime stats is part of your due diligence as a potential Buyer.

In my experience, the majority of crime in Salem originates along "the strip" (ie: Route 28 which is filled with shopping centers from the Route 213 overpass right up to the intersection of Route 97, and beyond). On any given day, there are police calls due to shoplifting and car break-ins at the Rockingham Mall.

While this may not be 'typical' New Hampshire police department activity, you have to expect that in a town that offers as much shopping opportunity as Salem does, there is going to be a certain out-of-town element that is drawn to Salem because of the sheer numbers (more cars/stores/people = more opportunity for criminal mischief). You can view police logs here:

It's my opinion that as a whole, once you get into the neighborhoods of Salem, and discover the great neighborhood schools, the high school that offers block scheduling and the fabulous opportunities for students to travel with the Salem Blue Devil Marching Band, you realize that Salem really is still a NH town that happens to have a huge shopping area. However, it's easy NOT to visit "the strip" except for a trip or two to the grocery store. There are plenty of back roads and non-franchise stores that help Salem keep the small-town charm that has been lost in other New Hampshire border-town shopping meccas like Seabrook and Nashua...

You are welcome to contact me at your convenience if I can answer any questions on Salem, or other southern New Hampshire towns. Thanks, and take care...

Valerie Cloutier, Realtor®
MA & NH Real Estate Services
Accredited Buyer Representative
e-PRO Certified 2008

603-965-5197 Cell
800-746-8448 x424 Toll Free
603-425-1193 Fax
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 28, 2009
I lived in Salem 20 years. Over that time, the retail strip expanded into a giant megaplex.

Salem is where Lawrence shops. Along with the shoppers, come the drug dealers, auto thieves,
shop lifters, and other undesirables.

Just recently(Aug.27th 2013), the Lawrence Eagle Tribune reported that the town of Salem N.H. is on target to arrest 2700 people this year, up from 2100 last year.
Where are there people coming from? The police chief said Massachusetts and Northern New Hampshire. To give a perpective, the town I now live in, with similar population arrested 600 people
last year.

My guess is that drug dealers figure Salem is a good place to do drug deals. Of course, this puts a
lot of strain on the local authorities to stop this illegal behavour.

As far as a place to live, Salem is O.K.. HOWEVER, expect a spike in the tax rate. The school
district needs to renovate Salem High School at a cost of $75 million dollars. The tax rate in Salem
is currently $20.58 per asessed thousand. The high school bond will add another $2.00 per thousand
over the current rate. Also in the background is that the town needs a new police station along with
more police to combat the rising crime rate.

For a nice town, with a reasonable tax rate, check out Hudson N.H.
As it is in a different state i dont think Salem is considered part of the Lawrence metro area. As within any town or city there are some very desirable parts and some undesirable parts. You can always get the stats direct from the police station that break down the area's within Salem themselves. Then nothing beats getting in the car and driving through the area's at different times to see for yourself. Good luck with your search.
Web Reference:
I wouldn't live in Salem. Too Massachusetts like
Hello- I don't think so. First, Salem is not adjacent to Lawrence. Secondly, the crime rate in Salem doesn't appear too bad. Salem is generally a very nice town. Trulia has some info on the town's crime rate; you can search for it.
Excellent other information is at this site-

If you need any help with financing, or have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.