Isaura, Home Buyer in Newark, NJ

best neighborhoods in Jacksonville, FL

Asked by Isaura, Newark, NJ Fri Feb 22, 2008

Answers

9
There are many great areas in Jacksonville. It really all depends on what you consider "best". Are you looking for larger parcels of land, golf, beaches, waterfront, nightlife, schools, shopping? Supplying more information on what you are looking for will definitely make your request easier to answer. If you are unfamiliar with the area, please contact me and I will send you some literature introducing you to the Northeast Florida area. I would also recommend you refer to " http://;www.coj.net" for City of Jacksonville information or " http://;www.jacksonville.com" for the Florida Times Union.
I have family in the "Beaches" area, Orange Park and north St Augustine. Each area has it's own unique appeal. My personal favorite is the beaches, but it all depends on your personal preference, and your price range. Orange Park is probably the most affordable.
I would be careful before you look at crime statistics. Yes, you can see the number of violent crimes in an area, but also remember that the more people you cram in a square mile, the more criminal acts you will find. Should people rule out Riverside, Avondale, and Murray Hill just because there are more citizens per square mile than say Mandarin or Julington Creek?

Also be careful when chosing a location based on the houses and how the neighborhoods were constructed. There are many new houses around town in new subdivisions with 1 way in and 1 way out. There are also ONLY 3 ways in and out of the beaches. During the last hurricane evacuation, it took some people more time to get back to the beach. There is extensive road work on two of the three roads to the beach, so traffic is an issue.

Before you jump into a house, look around you and the surroundings. Oakleaf plantation found themselves with a brand new Publix (super market) a few years ago, with nothing around it. Publix builds their stores with the belief that they will serve 20,000 houses with that one store. There is also a Kohl's that just opened up there along with many restaurants. Oakleaf is a nice part of town, but don't be sucked in to the nice new stores and think that traffic will not follow you and your neighbor.

Ideally, live 5-10 minutes from work. If you don't work, live as close to your friends and hobbies you enjoy. Jacksonville is very spread out and to go from Baldwin to the Beaches (1 side to the other of the county) would take you almost two hours.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 19, 2008
I would like to move to Jacksonville. I have contract with high school as a teaching for America, but I looking for save neighborhood, low crime , safety. lease let me now the best areas.
This is a high crime, ghetto and corrupt city.
Flag Tue Jun 4, 2013
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com . Also you may talk to the local police station.
i am looking for an area with low crime rate and good schools. i have a 4 yr old son and we are moving from orlando in a month. i really need my son to grow up in a good area were the crime is low i dont want to have to worry about anything. school is very impoortant to me as well i want him to be in a school where the teachers really focus on education and are really into helping the students learn and take the time to help them get ahead. please, if you know where an area is that consists of these 2 very important things let me know. i have been looking online for a long time and have had no luck getting any real information. thank you.
We have 3 younger kids and are looking for a house here also. I've been living in Jacksonville for 13 years now and haven't bought a house yet because I want it in a place where I can feels safe. Now we rent in Ponte Vedra beach. The houses here are expensive but maybe you can find something that is in your budget. the schools are A rated and pretty good and as far as safety is number 1. We love living here and we are looking to buy an older house just for the location. Good luck :)
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
I would always recommend to take a trip there, take a drive thru neighborhoods to see what would best suit your needs.
As the others have answered there are a lot of great neighborhoods is and around Jacksonville. If you are looking for a great place for families with close by local shopping, you may want to check out Oakleaf Plantation. We have great schools, a beautiful golf course, and the always important low crime. We also have many great homes for sale in Oakleaf Plantation for under $100 per sqft. The amenity 2 amenity centers are resort quality and very family friendly. Please check out my website at http://www.MrOakleaf.com and click on the link for Oakleaf Plantation under my favorite sites. If you have any questions along the way please do not hesitate to give me a call. This is the best time to buy in Florida, the prices are starting to go back up. Enjoy!!
Web Reference: http://www.MrOakleaf.com
I would first suggest narrowing down which side of town you would like to live in. Jacksonville is the largest city in the US land mass wise. From there, maybe we could be more helpful. Also, check out JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) website, they have crime stats based on address. Also, check out my website for additional info~ brittanystewart.com