Ftp, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

1. How safe and livable is Centerville district of Fremont? Especially, how safe is Pennsylvania Ave.

Asked by Ftp, Fremont, CA Mon Mar 3, 2008

(parallel to Mowry between Paseo Padre & Fremont blvd)?
2. What are the pros & cons of buying a 32 yr old townhome in this area? It is the only townhome community in the area, surrounded by apartment complexes, and senior assisted living.
I would estimate my living time in the house for 5-7 yrs, so when I would try to sell it in future, it would be almost a 40 yr old townhome. Will there be any potential gains if I maintain it nicely? Or will the age and the fact that its surrounded by condo/apartments affect the price?
3. In general, if a house is moderately upgraded, how big a role does age play in the selling price?

Answers

3
CJ Brasiel’s answer
FTP -

I know the local Fremont agents will be able to answer your questions better, but you can also take a look at
http://www.crimereports.com. You can put in the address and see any reported crime for different time periods.

If you plan to stay there 5-7 years, I would say there are no issues with that area. It may depend more on the actual management of the complex that could affect the long term value more than the neighborhood. Do they have adequate reserves? etc. Make sure to look at the HOA information and talk to neighbors about how well the association keeps up with the complex. Neighbors can also tell you about any issues with the apartment complexes.

CJ
Web Reference: http://talktocj.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 4, 2008
best advice is to contact you local sherifs office, they will be able to tell you in detail about the area you are looking in. Realtors can not give you those answers. It violates several laws and codes of ethincs. It is hare for us, because we truly know that areas best that we work in, but it is not our decision to determine an areas dymanics with regards to safety and a variety of other questions that we tend to get asked.
Hi Ftp, you should really check with the local Fremont police and sheriffs departments for this data, especially for specific data like Penn Ave. They will have the most accurate information. A realtor can't really give you a fully "legal" opinion on this issue for a variety of reasons related to real estate laws and professional liability.

If you need a referral for a really great agent in your area, please contact me through the trulia form.