johnzsmith19…, Other/Just Looking in Hooversville, PA

Who can I report an unsafe house in Hooversville, PA to?

Asked by johnzsmith1955, Hooversville, PA Wed Jul 4, 2012

I recently did some minor repairs to a friend of a friends house. In the basement, there is extensive mold from the crumbling foundation leaking. This is definitely a health hazard. Given the state of the foundation, the house will not be standing for very long. The porch is a land-mine with missing/broken boards. It is very near a public playground. He also has a young grand-daughter living there. When I mentioned it to the owner, he told me "mind your own business". I fear for the safety/health of the grand-child along with any children playing nearby. I also want to remain anonymous so no trouble comes to my friend that knows him. What can be done?

Help the community by answering this question:


You would report the problem to the Borough's code enforcement officer, but before you do this, read further. FYI, molds are present almost everywhere. Some are more harmful than others, particularly the stachybotrys that you hear about on the news. Maybe the best thing you can do for the friend is help him treat the mold, which involves finding the source of moisture--most likely misrouted downspouts, holes or negative grade around the foundation, raised bed planters, or concrete pads sloped toward the foundation. After you find the source of moisture penetration, remove and replace substrates, such as drywall and wash concrete block or stone with a strong bleach and water solution, using protective gear. You might also refer the friend to the USDA Rural Development 504 program or PHFA's repair programs for a porch replacement. For more info, see ;; and
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer