Crime & Safety in Greenwood>Question Details

Foo, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

Which blocks in Greenwood (or its proximities) are generally considered safe?

Asked by Foo, Seattle, WA Sun Mar 23, 2008

Hi, I know "safe" is an objective word (but I want the answers to be more subjective). I am considering buying my primary home in Greenwood (or its proximities). Which blocks in Greenwood (or its proximities) Seattle have low crime rate (considered safe)? The boundary streets of the area in question are as below:
N:100th St
S:70thSt
W:8th Ave
E: Linden Ave

Thanks a lot!

Answers

4
Hi! This is a great area and changing a lot right now - they are putting in a big urban center and I see Greenwood as being a good 3-5 year investment.
Here is a good crime map from the city:
http://web1.seattle.gov/seastats/doStatistics.aspx
I would make sure to pay more attention to housing that was built in the bog area of Greenwood - this would be the greater concern to me rather than the relatively low crime in the area. There is a major portion around downtown Greenwood that was built over a bog and it has been drying up in places as of late - creating some sinking problems in some cases.
I recently sold a really nice place in Greenwood - I also lived there for a little while - I love all that is going on in the area! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 23, 2008
Foo,

Sorry, but if agents try to "steer" you toward or away from a neighborhood based on information like this, it is considered red lining and is illegal. If you go to metrokc.gov, bhtough you can look up all the stats you want. Also consider looking at zipskinny.com.

Hope it helps.
It is true that agents don't get to deem areas safe or not safe. Besides the ethical concerns and the law, it is in your best interests as a buyer to be the one who determines answers to questions like that one. What I can do is email you the stats for the areas in question for you to review to your satisfaction. My contact info is on my web page. I have provided a link. Either way, good luck.

Sandra
Foo,

You will probably have to check with the local police dept. for this info. Realtors are generally prohibited from telling you what they believe is a good or bad neighborhood.
Web Reference: http://www.OwnGR.com