Tim, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Which areas of Asbury Park tend to be safer? How is the north part of town?

Asked by Tim, New Jersey Sun Apr 13, 2008

Answers

10
Go drive around in Asbury at night and then decide. Do not leave this decision up to someone else's opinion. Take matters into your own hand and spend some time there.
we walked on the boardwalk last summer and the transformation was delightful. it was bohemian and progressive, without that stifling suburban uniformity or jersey shore honky-tonk feeling. nonetheless, a few blocks west, especially near the railroad tracks, was completely oppressive. if you're willing to be brave and adventurous and have the tolerance for such oppression within extremely close proximity, asbury park might be an option for you, although the homes are way overpriced and are high maintainence, indeed.
I completely disagree with this statement. "A few blocks west" is where Cookman Ave is - arguably the most popular and trendiest part of town. The area is liberated and safe. Even the area west of the train station is fine, although a bit quiet. Northwest is the tree-lined suburb of North- and South-east Asbury. Now, Southwest seems to be the least gentrified part of town. But they have made HUGE improvements over the past five years. Home prices are moderate and the neighborhood and homes are being cleaned up.

The
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013
I live in north part of town and LOVE it. I'm on the west side, nice residential, no beach crowd or noise. Hope that helps.
Come down and enjoy what AP has to offer.

Like many towns there are some problems. Police blotters and warnings do occur.

Cars get broken into. They do as well in Ocean Township. The Schools have their own issues. One of biggest factors to help in Asbury - the transformation street after street of homes back to single family homes vs chopped up and often illegal apartments.

The conversion of most apartment buildings into condos has changed the makeup of some of those as well. Note, that many of the units may not be owner occupied - but rather investor owned - nothing wrong as long as the buildings are professionally managed.

In between many of the homes on the North side (can be east) you will find a number of multifamily units - some still need some TLC.

Spend a weekend or week in Asbury - walk it, ride it, talk to agents.

Go to Belmar, Avon, Bradley, Manasquan . Determine your price points, what you are looking to do and decide.

It's Asbury Park.

(I grew up in Ocean Twp, Wanamassa, worked the BW 30 years ago...and now my kids work on the BW.)

I'm also a licensed NJ Real Estate Agent. Office not in AP.
It's amazing how truly difficult it is, and how long it takes to change public perception. And many of those perceptions are maintained by folks with very little, if any, personal knowledge at all. I've lived in, and been actively involved in many aspects of the Asbury Park community for years. I've lived in the NE, NW and SW part of town - and at no time have I had any difficult, problem or negative experience. Now, that's not saying Asbury doesn't have it's problems and difficulties - but which community in New Jersey doesn't. If you're truly interested in our wonderful community - the only way to really understand is to come take a first hand look. Connect with a Realtor you feel comfortable with, and most importantly - someone who lives and works here! Ask them to show you the good, bad, and ugly - and then make your own decsion. Personally, I wouldn't live anywhere else on earth. Be well
Asbury Park needs to get real...... they are selling houses in a so-so area lets face it Asbury Park has some issues to deal with. However the realitors act as if Asbury Park house prices are a steal. I can find many places in NJ to live a better quality of life for what they are trying to get in Asbury Park. You are not that far from afew years ago I think they have all forgotten.
In regard to the previous answer, Asbury Park can be a great town to live in, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but , in my honest opinion, it is just not that safe.
I live in Wanamassa, and walk down Sunset Avenue into Asbury Park daily, so I do have some experience. It depends on your definition of 'safe'.
There are neighborhoods, on the West Side that are very nice.
Asbury Park is not that safe, imho. Taxes are quite high too. Unless you really want to live there,
You might be better off buying in Wanamassa, Ocean Township, or Neptune.
Hi Tim,
Here's another website that could help answer your question regarding crime and safety in Asbury Park.
http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/default.asp

As far as the north part of Asbury Park, you can find some good deals in that area. Much better than you can on the east side of Main Street. The homes on many of the streets are older, very charming and many are well maintained. It all depends on what you are looking for. I find that many couples and buyers new to the area are attracted there due to the price points and proximity to the beach.

If you need any information on what is for sale in Asbury Park. I would be very happy to help you find what you are looking for. Please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Lucy Korzelius
RE/MAX GATEWAY
1500 Allaire Ave., Suite 103
Ocean, NJ 07712
732-684-1559 direct
lucyk@remax.net
You may find the following site helpful to you for local area information, stats, etc.. http://www.city-data.com/