Question Details

Missy Brown, Other/Just Looking in California

What to do about a property being neglected by new?

Asked by Missy Brown, California Sun Mar 2, 2008

A house was sold on our street, prior owner kicked out (forclosed). Property is listed as sold. As a homeowner in an area that needs a lot of improvement, I'm angered by the new owners' neglect of this property. The former owner may not have been the most financially responsible of people, but he kept the property up and was a helpful part of the community. Now the house is quickly becoming an deserted eyesore, deteriorating- a vagrant magnet. I'd like to know what the new owners' responsibilities are, who I can contact with this concern, how I can find out who owns it, etc.

Answers

1
Missy -

Check with your local municipality as some have initiated what are typically referred to as "blight" ordinances. These ordinances typically handle the "presentation" of the house and yard as it relates to the neighborhood. If found in violation, the owner can be ordered to correct the situation or be fined.

Web Reference: http://TalkToCJ.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 2, 2008