Crime & Safety in 85710>Question Details

Kathy, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

What's the story on the house at 1114 S. Duquesne Drive in Tucson?

Asked by Kathy, Tucson, AZ Sat Aug 16, 2008

There are a couple of houses for sale on S. Duquesne Drive in Tucson, and the area looks pretty nice and quiet, but there's one house at 1114 S. Duquesne Drive that is fenced off, looks abandoned, has an odd feel about it and no curb appeal. There are local rumors that a horrific crime happened there, but I can't find anything. specific. Just want to know what happened and if it's a safe neighborhood overall, and if it's known if there are plans to fix the house up, sell it, demolish it or what. It's an eyesore in an otherwise quaint neighborhood. Thanks, Kathy in Tucson.

Answers

2
Hi, Kathy!
I actually live on the street since 1992. I knew one of the neighbors who actually knew the owners. The owners live in Phoneix. and the house has been abandoned 25+ years at least! The "story" as far as i know is this: The owners of the house had a girl in high school (and I believe a couple of other children). One day she ditched school with a couple of friends and went up the Sabino canyon where she acciendtly drowned. Rumor has it that the parents were so upset that they just left everything they had in the house and moved. Now I remember when i was younger always venturing around the house and there is all the furniture and what not still inside. The owners come down about every 6 months to mow the lawn check up on the place. But it's getting to the point where they are getting older and its becoming more difficult for them to travel (they have to be in their late 60's to mid 70's). A couple of neighbors said they were finally considering selling the place, but it wouldn't be worth hardly anything. That house has to be torn down and rebuilt; its too old, not kept up and probably has extensive terminite damage. Every now and again we have teenagers come around and try to peek and break in the house because its "haunted" (we call it the Huanted House). But all the neighbors do a really good job of keeping an eye out . Either we tell them to leave or just call the cops. The neighbor hood in itself is really good. never had any big problems and you soon learn just to ignore the old house. I hope this helps a little! You should move on the street, you wont regret it!
Hi Kathy,

According to the Assessor's records, the owner's address is in Scottsdale. This website "Tucson Crime stat" can give you additional information: http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/Stats/ on neighborhoods you are researching.