Crime & Safety in 30307>Question Details

Mimi, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

What's the neighborhood like in Candler Park? Is it a safe area for a single woman in a single family home?

Asked by Mimi, Atlanta, GA Sun Nov 25, 2007

Answers

6
Is anywhere really safe anymore? Let's just say that the Candler Park area is in a very transitional area of Atlanta. Close to Lil' Five Points which can be a stange area to say the least, but not far away from the Druid Hills area which is very refined.

Many people are moving back into this area and trying to reclaim it's former glory of being a wonderful area to live. I would consider this a personal call for you. Visit the area during different times of the day and see how you feel when you are in the neigborhood. Everyone has a different sense of self security see if it meets your comfort zone and then make your decision.

For stats. you can check the criminal reports for the area and even visit the family watchdog site to check for sexual predators. These websites are very helpful, but are what they are... cold hard stats. You would be surprised at what results you find in even some of the best neigborhoods.

I hope this was helpful and if you need anything else feel free to contact me.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2007
Realtors walk a fine line on answering these types of questions. For your peace of mind I would recommend that you obtain the criminal report for the neighborhood and it will tell you all that has happened within the area.

Are you currently working with an agent? I would be happy to refer a great agent for that area.
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2007
Mimi,

I moved to Inman Park in 1998 and served as a volunteer in various roles with Public Safety in the area since then. I've grown to know the neighborhoods, our APD Zone 6 officers, and many of the challenges that Atlanta's law enforcement professionals face.

Right when I moved to Atlanta's suburbs in the late '80's, news came out about a young girl walking home from Little Five Points who was raped and killed in Candler Park. She was walking by herself across the golf course - a short cut home. After Midnight. She was in the US Army Reserve - early 20's. Prime of life. That was my first impression of Intown Atlanta crime as a Georgia resident, and you know what - that same crime can occur tonight if a young girl wants to go walking be herself late at night. Security starts with you and your confidence.

Am I confident that Candler Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in Intown Atlanta? Yes. 100% confident.

Plenty of other single women in single family homes all over the area. A really nice girl with a McLendon listing has been there 12 years and she will be glad to give you her impressions if you ask. You just need to get in the neighborhood and start talking to neighbors.

Our city is rife with lots of non-violent crime. Violent crime is up. Police headcount is not where it needs to be. We are losing good officers to other cities, and yet I still live in the absolute safest part of Atlanta - Zone 6.

On good streets, crime doesn't happen as much as it does on bad streets - with good neighbors looking out for each other, and private security patrols, and perimeter lighting, and a dog, and an imposing don't mess with my stuff curb appeal, not much crime is going on. On good streets. Sometimes never at all, on good streets. Candler Park is loaded with good streets, good neighbors and good police officers doing the best that they can with a 911 driven, reactive system.

Go to some Candler Park neighborhood asociation meetings. I can connect you with long term neighbors who will tell you the good, the bad and the only sometimes ugly. Let me know if you have more questions.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2008
Candler Park is a great neighborhood with a strong neighborhood association; there are tons of amenities and many people are attracted to the great elementary school: Mary Lin. As far as safety goes, I always tell all my clients (and friends and family) to just be aware of your surroundings. I believe having both a dog and an alarm are great options for crime prevention. LIke every other neighborhood in Atlanta, you just have to be aware--don't walk around at night and get to know your neighbors. I would suggest beyond looking at crime stats (which will show that crime is plentiful in most Atlanta neighborhoods), spend some time in the neighborhood at different times of the day. Try eating at Flying Biscuit or Fellinni's. Walk to the park or golf course. Check out the pool (its a public pool, just renovated, and $2 per visit per person). Talk to the neighbors and talk to the business owners. I believe you will find people who genuinely love living in the neighborhood.
Web Reference: http://www.leaveittobee.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 16, 2008
I think Candler Park is a great area. This area has gone through a major change over the years. Most of the homes have been renovated and a lot of new construction has been built over the years. It is tough to find a home for sale under $350k in Candler Park anymore. Most of the retail space in Candler park has been revitalized with new shops and restaurants. As with most "in town" neighborhoods, you always have the risk of crime, but compared to the surrounding areas of Edgewood, Kirkwood, and East Lake, I think Candler Park looks great.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2007
I live in Candler Park and I would say it safe. It is definately as safe as any Atlanta neighborhood inside the perimeter. There actually are homes in the area under $300K and condos and town homes for even less. You can look at my Candler Park page on my website at http://www.realty4atlanta.com/intown-atlanta/candler-park/ to see what is available. I have lived in the neighborhood for 17 years and know it well. If you have more questions let me know!