Crime & Safety in SoMa>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What is the crime and safety like in SoMa?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

Is this area safe or dangerous? What types of crimes are committed? Are there any intersections or streets that should be avoided?

Answers

2
6th & Mission is the only intersection that you should try to avoid if possible. It's worth venturing there for Ms. Saigon Vietnamese Restaurant and the Monarch Bar, but otherwise SoMa is a mostly safe place, even if it can be a little threatening sometimes.
I am new to SOMA. I moved here two weeks and live near First Street and Harrison. I walk to work everyday. It is about a 15 minute walk. In the morning, safety is not an issue at all...lots and lots of people walking to work. In the evening, I walk back around 8 or 9 pm. It is at this time that safety is on my mind. Not that many people on the street and it is pretty quiet. There have been two instance already where I have felt uncomfortable. Both cases turned out to be harmless, but nonetheless I felt less that safe. No real crime that I have seen or heard of (at least not as yet). As long as you are not walking late at night, it seems like a safe enough area.