Crime & Safety in Village 7>Question Details

Kathy Papst, Home Buyer in Village 7, Sacramento,...

What can you tell me about crime and gangs in the overall Natomas area?

Asked by Kathy Papst, Village 7, Sacramento, CA Mon Mar 23, 2009

My husband and I are moving soon to the Sacramento area and I have been researching areas of the city on-line and I like Village 7 /Westlake/Natomas area homes. My husband's aunt is adamant that it is infested with gangs and has lots of crime. The homes look well tended and the neighborhoods are clean and safe looking. I think she may be overreacting, but we don't know the city well at all, so we need help from others who live there. How safe is the area ? I looked up crime statistics, but it is hard to gauge how pervasive it is by neighborhood. I saw an article about a policeman who was killed a few months ago - is that what she is basing her opinion on? Any information would be useful in our search for a home. Thank You.

Answers

4
Julie’s answer
Hi Kathy,
My husband and I bought our home in Village 7 March '08. We were also new to the area and weren't sure about the crime in the area - what we've come to learn in the last 15 months is that people associate "Natomas" with SOUTH Natomas - which is an older neighborhood with a lot of problems. North Natomas is a nice neighborhood - but still urban and I wouldn't recommend jogging by yourself at night - other than that great neighborhood, clean, pretty, diverse, and close to so many great ammenities - airport and downtown are minues away. I reviewed the revised plans for the North Natomas neighborhood and the city has some great things in the works - a regional park, library, mall, etc. 10 years this place is going to be busseling! Good Luck!
Julie
Hello Kathy:

You can examine police reports until you are blue in the face. After a while, they will all look similar to each other, especially in communities that border the others.

Your best bet for first-hand information is to drive over there and talk to the neighbors. You'll find out more than any report / agent can tell you. Then, go to the local police department and talk to the officers who work in that area. Ask them if they would live there.
Here are two resources that you may find to be helpful;

http://crimemap.sacsheriff.com/cvc/default.asp

http://www.kcra.com/crimetracker/index.html

You can search by area, address, zip code, proximity to parks, etc...these will tell you what types of crimes were committed and when...Good luck to you in your research.
Web Reference: http://www.SacREBlog.com
Erin Stumpf, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Hi Kathy,

The best source for this information is the local police department or county sheriff's department. they have access to the most accurate and up to date information and are generally very willing to be helpful. Thy using them as a resource.