Crime & Safety in Mission>Question Details

Caren, Other/Just Looking in 94114

What are your thoughts on living in the Mission (in the 20th streets and east of Mission Street)?

Asked by Caren, 94114 Thu Jun 28, 2007

Curious to know about people's experiences living in the Mission - particularly around 21 - 24th streets and east of Mission (South Van Ness, Folsom, etc.).

Answers

8
John Smith’s answer
Mexican gangs are divided up into 2 groups, the Nortenos and Surenos. Nortenos wear red and Surenos wear blue. In that specific area, I believe that is Sureno area. The worst place to live is right on the border because you have border skirmishes (shootings) such as 21st -19th and Mission. 21st-29 are defnitely Norteno, 20th-15th definitely Sureno. Drive there at about 9pm and view the "colors" they are wearing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 23, 2007
I went to high school at ICA on 24th and Guerrero, and things have definitely changed since then (for the better). A lot of the problems in the Mission are related to gang activity. I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but it's not like the downtown area where everyone can be a target for mugging, purse snatching, etc. I do think that you are better off west of Mission. I just think the atmosphere is a little bit better. They've got some great restaurants on Valencia. My personal opinion is that 24th street is just not good at all. Let me know if I can be of assistance. I know the Mission pretty well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 15, 2007
Caren, I live in the Mission as we speak (14th St and Guerrero) and going from about 16th to 24th east can be a little rough but if you can find things to the West, anything off of Valencia, Guerrero, Dolores, etc are very nice. Just remember if you are lucky enough to find anything off of Dolores you are blocks from one of the nicest parks in the city. Dolores Park! plus it has movies in the park during the summer and it has the nicest weather.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
I can’t speak for 20th st and up, but I used to work around 16th and Folsom. While it was not the nicest area, i would not say it was bad. As a woman i can't say i felt very safe at night. There were some homeless hanging around but nothing crazy. However moving North from Folsom to Mission got pretty spotty - walking North felt unsafe even during the day time.

There is a Bart station at 16th and Mission and one of my coworkers told me they saw someone shooting up on the street. I don't know if there is truth to that but the area gives you that not so safe feeling and I have certainly seen people smoking pot on the curb. I'm not against it, but it does say something about what is going on around an area when people think it's cool to light up in broad day light.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 29, 2007
Bah! I've lived at 21st and Bryant for 4 years with no problems, aside from my car getting broken into, which is a factor of life in any part of the city. I walk alone at night (I'm a girl) all over without incident. I don't know anyone who lives there who's had a problem. The worst part is getting "hey baby"d by mexican guys who try to chat you up. That's it!
It's a very vibrant area and has a great energy to it that I haven't found in 'nicer' areas like Noe Valley. HOT restaurants and cute shops are always opening up. I love living here.
I live on 20th and Dolores close to the park and love the vibe of the area. It's a fusion of hipsters, recent immigrants and young familes that gives the "barrio" vitality. There are also some great bars and restuarants around... and despite the odd vagrant and homeless person I've felt as safe here asI have anywhere in the coity
The other side of 24th st, east of Mission, north of Cesar Chavez, has housing projects and used to have street-level gang activity - 5 years ago. Not so sure about today. Also, being within one or so blocks of Mission St in the 20's is less desirable than being a little further away. There are loads of women who live in that area who aren't afraid to walk alone from BART (or the store, or Valencia bars etc.) to home at night. Then again, there are loads who wouldn't do it alone.
Caren, this is still the area in transition. On one side, there is a plenty of good looking condos and apartments, even Starbucks, or two. There is a lot of overall improvements made over last several years, but at the same time transition is still under way. So, you really need to ask yourself, is this promising investment worth the trouble? You definitely would need to take some precautions (such as avoid coming back in the evening alone). I wouldn't worry so much about shooting, as it is not "a daily event". Also, there things, here and there, that are not entirely esthetically pleasing. If this is not a huge issue for you, go for it!
Web Reference: http://www.cimpler.com
ARTUR URBANS…, Real Estate Pro in Burlingame, CA