Crime & Safety in 38107>Question Details

Sherita, Home Buyer in Memphis, TN

What are the safest neighborhoods to live in in Memphis?

Asked by Sherita, Memphis, TN Mon Feb 21, 2011

I am a single woman and would be living alone, so I would like to be able to feel safe coming home at night. I know that there are some rough patches in Memphis, but I'm sure there are some areas that are safe and affordable.

Answers

5
One piece of advice we always give people is to check out the neighborhood both at day and at night. There are certain places that look fine during the day, but when night falls you want to be nowhere near. Memphis is really odd, some of the streets that I believe to be the safest are less than a half mile from streets that I consider to be the least safest. You just have to do your homework. There are several neighborhoods all throughout Memphis that are fine, but you are wise to be careful.
If you own an iPhone and are interested in crime information- there are apps called CrimeReports and CrimeMapping.com which provide a great amount of information using the map featured in the app. It should be able to give you much insight on any area you plan to move to!
Best place to find truthful and accurate answers is the local police department, whom you should be able to reach conveniently through one of the websites you will find when you google crime tracker memphis, tn.
Check out East Memphis. There's a small area just south of Sea Isle Park that seems to stay "tucked away". There are many young families as well as older couples (who are awesome at keeping their eyes out during the day while most of us are at work). I have also known 2 single ladies that own homes on my street alone. It's a very convenient area too.
Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods--for any safety concerns--for accurate information do contact/visit the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand.