Crime & Safety in Oakland>Question Details

Elisabeth, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

What are the best and SAFEST areas in Oakland to raise a family?

Asked by Elisabeth, Seattle, WA Fri Jun 22, 2007

Answers

8
This is a very good questions. I think it depends on your experience and specific definitions of 'safe'. I think that Oakland often gets a bad name amoungst those who have never lived there. I live in the Allendale Park neighborhood, just below Laurel District and have never had any problems with crime. I agree that the hills and Piedmont area are nice, but only a select few can actually afford to live there.

I say, Don't believe the hype! There are many great little pocket neighborhoods in Oakland. You might want to check out Maxwell Park or Dimond Heights. Drive through Laurel and down into the Allendale Park areas. You will find many happy families flourishing, I guarantee it!

Best of luck and I hope to see you around the neighborhood!
Awesome feedback on Oakland. Thank you so much. I'm looking at buying in Oakland and I can't afford Rockridge/Piedmont/Montclair, but don't know enough about the pockets in Oakland to know where to search.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Stamen Design just released a map interface to explore crimes in Oakland which you might find helpful. It's called Oakland Crimespotting. Check it out.
I moved from San Frran to Oakland, and live in Crocker Highlands, I believe that it is one of Oakland's best kept secerts. It is a mature neighborhood with great homes with lots charm. This is a place where we are our brothers keeper. It is a nice place to call home. Montclair, Rockridge and Piedmont are very nice as well.
Web Reference: http://www.ganice.com
Shh! Some of us are trying to keep Alameda a secret!!

Just kidding--I don't know much about Oakland, but Alameda is most definitely a safe and lovely area.
I grew up in the East Bay (Oakland and the surrounding areas) And from my own upbringing there are some excellent areas.

First, the neighborhoods that within the Oakland city limits. Piedmont, is excellent. It is in the hills of Oakland good schools and parks for kids.

The next would be Montclair. This is a very nice neighborhood very close to Joaquin Miller Park witch is very scenic and a great place for walks and places for kids to ride their bikes. It also has lots of little local shops and businesses that have a nice charm to them.
Last but definitely not least, is Alameda. This is the town that I grew up in. Technically not in Oakland's city limits. It is a city on it own. It is a small island right on the outskirts of Oakland (100 feet of water separate the two) It is a safe quiet little town that has everything that a family needs. Good schools, nice homes, local shops and businesses. It also has an excellent park and rec dept that has everything from little league to after school programs.

These three locations plus a few more should give you a place to start looking in the East Bay.

Hope this helps
Hi Elisabeth - I live and work in Montclair. It is quite safe. I have a 16 month old girl and we are out and about all of the time. I feel safe at all hours of the day. When I work late at night, I am very comfortable and have no fear in the area. My husband and I feel that this is a great neighborhood for children. Montclair has great schools and everyone is very friendly. Please contact me (jatherton@apr.com) to learn more about Montclair. Best! Jennifer Atherton, Realtor, Alain Pinel Realtors, Montclair, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
Yes I would agree with others on Piedmont, Montclair, Oakland Hills, etc., to be the more upscale area in Oakland where crime rate is lower than the rest of Oakland. However these areas also seem to much higher in price. However I believe that Oakland is very much divided and only certain "hotspots" is the majority of problem, so if you know where they are you could certainly avoid them. Like Rockridge around College Ave is certainly better than other area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
I would recommend areas around Lake Merritt, Montclair (in the hills), Piedmont, and Rockridge. Rockridge is a sweet neighborhood: charming downtown, craftsman homes, and a BART station for easy access to San Francisco.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2007