Crime & Safety in Joliet>Question Details

Leann, Other/Just Looking in Arlington Heights, IL

We are thinking of having our wedding reception at the Grand Ballroom at Joliet Union Station, but neither of

Asked by Leann, Arlington Heights, IL Wed Jul 30, 2008

us are from that specifica area and are unfamiliar with whether or not there is a lot of crime in the area. We just don't want people parking their cars in the area for the night then have something happen. Any help at all would be wonderful!

Answers

5
This is a real question?

If you don't know about the area then how did you make the decision to have a wedding there?
We had ours there 11 years ago. It was wonderful. The only downside was it echoed a lot, from the high ceilings and marble. The city of Joliet parking lot is right across the streeet and is well lit. The Joliet police have a substation in the train station and patrol the area very well. We held cocktail hour on the veranda and that was a nice place to sit after dinner.
Thanks so much to Lori and Jennifer for the advice and the congratulations! And, as for your question, Brandon, my family is from St. Louis and his family if from the NW suburbs... we were trying to find a place that was not incredibly expensive, cut down on drive time for my family, and was still close to the city and various activities for out-of-town guests. I hope I was able to answer your question to the fullest- thank you so much for your intriguing questions. You must be very good at what you do- helping people look for homes in new areas and all. I'll be sure to remember your name if we choose to move there.
There are a lot of options for wedding cars as well. You might want to consider that. It can eliminate your concern to have the company worry about the car situation. http://www.platinumlimousineshire.com.au/wedding-cars-sydney-packages.html
Flag Mon Oct 6, 2014
I've been to a couple of weddings/receptions here and they have turned out to be very nice. There are some great places to get really neat pictures too!
My suggestion to answer your question about the crime would be to contact the police department to get a crime report of the area. One persons opinion of 'safe' might not be the same as yours.
Best of luck and congratulations on the engagement!
Hi Leann -- The grand ballroom could be a lovely place to have your wedding. I have lived in Joliet for the past 17 years and am very familiar with the area. The downtown area has a number of restaurants and bars and is a safe area. There is always a police presence and the downtown is very well lit. I believe that if the wedding is during the weekend, most of your guests would be parking in the lot by the courthouse or in a nearby parking garage, both of these have security present. Best of luck in finding a great place for your wedding, feel free to contact me with any questions.

If you are open to another option, there is an amazing historic mansion called the Patrick Staley mansion. It is available for weddings as well and has georgeous landscaped grounds and on site parking. It is very near downtown and might be another possibility for you. Good Luck!