Crime & Safety in Las Vegas>Question Details

Unlv Mom, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

We are considering investing in a condo for our daughter to live in while attending UNLV.

Asked by Unlv Mom, Las Vegas, NV Fri Mar 11, 2011

Our top concerns are safety and security, reasonable commute, and potential for resale. What neighborhoods would you recommend for a young femail college student?

Answers

10
My partner and I have sold many condo's. My Partner Margie's daughter is currently a student at UNLV. Investing in Las Vegas isn't a bad idea. As you know the pricing is pretty amazing! You can use it as a vacation home or rent to other students when she graduates. But take note.....you will probably have to make a cash purchase on any condo you buy. Lending guidelines are quite strict on condos and most loans will not cover a condo purchase.
Thanks for your question UNLV mom!
Hi UNLV Mom,

My daughter is away at UNR and I completely understand how you feel. I live in a guard gated mid-rise just a couple of blocks from UNLV, so I know this community extremely well. I have a few properties, in the UNLV area, in mind that I believe would be a perfect fit for your daughter, give you the peace of mind that you seek and have strong investment potential.

Having recently been in your shoes, I would find it a treat and special priviledge to find a perfect home away from home for your daughter. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Beverly Stevermer
702-809-5248
beverlystevermer@yahoo.com
http://www.highriselivinglv.las.mlxchange.com
The area around UNLV is not offering the cash flow my investors find attractive, I look for foreclosure condo's West of the 15 Freeway and on the major cross streets like Tropicana or Flamingo. This is a short drive to UNLV. There are some 2 bed 2 bath forelcosure condo's in Class A buildings that sold NEW only 5 years ago for $185,000 that can be bought for $70,000 to $80,000, which will rent for $900 to $1000 a month today, and will be great rentals in the future
They have strong HOA and lots of owner occupied.

David Cooper Las Vegas Real Estate Foreclosure Houses "cherry picked" for Positive Cash Flow

I totally understand your concern about safety. As we all know there is no way of ever really knowing if we are safe... It's the lesson I have taught my children, I always make sure to remind them to be aware of their surroundings.

There are areas of the valley that have higher crime rates than others Every city has crime. I do highly recoomend that you go on the Las Vegas Metro Police Dept website. There are also other crime tracker cites.. If you go to my web site on the left side of the first page just click on links and you will have many different sites to check out.

Congrats on having a college student. You should be very proud.

Penny O'Brien
Simply Vegas
Pennys@PennysProperties.com
We have many beautiful properties in the Las Vegas area. It is a hot market for all properties alike. Please be so kind to call me to discuss @ 702-406-3356
Hello UNLV Mom,
You are asking the correct questions. I own many properties around the UNLV area. After the schooling is done, rent it out for positive cash flow.
There are some older (1975) vintage townhomes and condos just a few 100 yards from UNLV. 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms are available. I can send more details. They are priced low and a car will not be needed to get to classes.
Call or e-mail me for more information.

Please contact me immediately if you know a person that cannot make their mortgage payments. I will work with them to avoid foreclosure or bankruptcy at no charge or fees to them.

Steven Goldman, CRS
Broker Salesman
Certified Short Sale Professional (CSP)
REO-BPO Certified
GRI, ABR, SRES, CNHS, PM, CCI
Realty One Group
Las Vegas, NV 89135
Direct 702-242-1372
E-Mail: crssteven@teamgoldman.info
Web Site: http://www.teamgoldman.info
Hi Unlv Mom, I know many parents are doing this too. I have two kids that attend UNLV one of them lives about 20 miles from the school and my other is about 25 miles. Your daughter wouldn't have to go that far but I encouraged my kids to make the drive. I am a native of Vegas so I just have my personal reasons for it. You can get much closer but Metro has a crime checker you can use. Another thing too, condos are getting tougher to get loans on since so many of them are tied up in HOA litigations. You can still get them but many of them have to be cash purchased. However, I do have a couple of wonderful lenders I can turn you on too.
I would love to work with you and educate you on our area and market. Please feel free to visit my web site at http://www.AllLasVegasHomes.com or you can email me at Rhondasellsvegas@gmail.com.
What ever way you choose to go , good luck to you .
Rhonda
Hello again Mom,

Below I am attaching a link that may underline a bit of what we are saying about the area around the campus. Go this this site and you can see the crime statistics for the area.

As I said, depending on price (which is really low these days) the newer areas are generally going to give you the most feeling of security. They will also likely give you a better return on your investment when it comes time to resell at the end of your Daughter's college career. And whether you decide to sell or keep the property for awhile, you will also likely be please with the return on investment.

Thanks again for reading.
That is a good idea. Many people are doing the same thing then once their son or daughter graduates they rent it out to other students. And more times than not the students parents are paying the rent and it is paid on time. There are many great opportunities and I would be glad to help you.

To be perfectly honest, real close to UNLV is not the best area of town. It is not extremely bad, but there are better places. Close to UNLV would be conveinient if she will not have a car. I have lived here my entire life and I would recommend about 5 to 8 miles from UNLV to the west or south would be a better location for safety sake. As far as resale, with prices projected to remain low for several years, I would focus more on a property that would give you a better return on your investment thatn the money sitting in a bank. That way you could have some positive cash flow until the market turns around, then consider selling.

Do you have a rough idea of how much you would like to invest?

Doug Sawyer
Realty Executives of NV
702-889-8922
Hello Mom,

As a parent of a UNLV student I share your concerns for your daughter's safety as well as her overall college experience. I will say that there never was a better time to buy a condo near UNLV than today, as the prices have plummeted from their high of 2007.

It is difficult to recommend specific neighborhoods without appearing to "Steer" into or away from certain areas, which is against fair housing rules. But we need to consider a few other factors, such as how far from the college is acceptable, is the community Gated or open, what is your price range. The one factor which will influence your choices is price. Generally, the higher the price, the better the neighborhood. Of course, as I said, that is a generalization, but it is a place to start. Personally, because of the age of properties in the immediate area around UNLV, I would probably opt for a newer area, and one which moves us away from the Strip and the University.

If you would like to drill into the possibilities a bit deeper and in more detail, please feel free to email at Steve@REOVegas.com, or call me at (702)-491-4663.

I promise to treat your daughter like my own and help you make the best decision.

Best of luck, and thanks for reading.