rivka.watkins, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

Thinking of moving to Philadelphia - what are the safest neighborhoods?

Asked by rivka.watkins, Philadelphia, PA Mon Aug 13, 2012

Hi, I just got a telecommute job and I want to move to a walkable, safe neighborhood. A lot of friends have told me that I would be very happy in Philadelphia. I want to rent for the first year or two while I get a food feel for the city. What are some safe neighborhoods to live in? It is especially important that if be safe for a woman to walk alone at night to and from public transportation, as I hate driving.

Answers

6
Ferit Tuzer’s answer
Hi I'm not a RE agent so i'm not selling you any property and can give a more honest answer. The only places safe to walk around at night are Rittenhouse square and the bar/pub district between chestnut and locust and 18th and 10th. Good luck.
Hi Rivka,

You really need to come to Philadelphia and tour around to see where you would be most comfortable living. I live in the Italian Market/East Passyunk Square neighborhood of South Philadelphia. My wife and I have been living here on South 7th St for 10 years now and we love the neighborhood. We walk uptown to Center City, Rittenhouse Square, South St, Olde City. All very walkable. There are many local parks with Movie Nights, Concerts, Festivals, etc...

Philly is very bike friendly as well. The City recently converted many Center City 2 lane Streets into 1 Car Lane + 1 Bicycle ONLY Lane Streets. I wish I could ride a bike everywhere all day but I travel too far in too short a time period everyday.

That said, I have some great apartments available in East Passyunk, Southwark, Newbold and many other friendly neighborhoods in Philadelphia, from South to North, East to West, and also Southwest and Northeast. I'd be happy to show you around when you come to town.

Please feel free to call me to discuss your situation and how I can assist you in finding your new home in Philly. I can start e-mailing you some listings after we speak.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994
LarrySellsRealEstate@gmail.com

DJCRE, Inc.
Real Estate Sales & Leasing
Property Management & Insurance
1611 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Office: (215) 271-7070
Hi Rivka,

I would recommend checking out the Trulia Crime Maps so that you can get a sense of what the neighborhoods are like in comparison to one another:

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania/crime/

I hope this helps, please let me know how else I can be a resource for you.

Ali, Community Manager
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2012
Thanks.
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/3286148174.html

please look at this listing - its in east falls area and is available for immediate rent and its right next to kelly drive.

I am sure you are going to love this area.

Its a new development which is a rarity in philly.We loved living here and moving out only becuase of me and my wife's job

pls call me at 3025889099 and we can discuss

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
If you aren't set on being in center city the north west part of town is very walkable and relatively safe. That said the city is still the city and one must be smart. Look at East Falls, Roxborough, Manayunk. Easy access to parks, trails, bike paths, public transit, and neighborhood shopping. easy access to major highways for when you want to go somewhere in your car. Check the neighborhood crime statistics, look at the local forums - philadelphiaspeaks.com; and come visit for a week to get a feel of the place. Philadelphia is a great city. Affordable, walkable, with a variety of nice communities.
Hi Rivka,

I am from Philly and am currently residing in South Philly in the Pennsport neighborhood. Let me first tell you that nowhere in Philadelphia will you be "safe" walking around at night alone. You will understand as you live here, that the city is very transitional. It is nice in one area and five blocks in another direction it can get dicey. However, if you are smart and you are aware of your surroundings, you will be fine. Also, you do not want to take public trans late at night! It does not run as frequently and they stop running around midnight. I commute and make my way around the city by bike.

As far as neighborhoods, I don't know your budget but here are my suggestions for nice and fun neighborhoods for people new to the Center City/South Philly area:

1) Fairmount/Art Museum area
2) Fitler Square/ Rittenhouse Square
3) Graduate Hospital
4) Queens Village
5) Passyunk Ave
6) Bella Vista/Southwark

Philly is a great city and has a lot to offer and I think you will enjoy living here! Good luck with your search!