clkickham, Other/Just Looking in New Orleans, LA

Thinking about buying a second home in the Quarter but concerned about the crime which is a deterrent. Interested in feedback from residents.

Asked by clkickham, New Orleans, LA Sun Dec 23, 2012

Answers

4
The Quarter is part of a "security district" This means its residents pay a little extra to get additional police protection than other parts of the city. There are similar districts throughout the city in parts of Uptown and Midcity for example.

Unless you plan on walking around at 4:00 am drifting through the streets having had a little too much to drink you generally will not have a problem.

With the new street car coming down the edge of the Quarter there are some excellent investment opportunities with some of the current listings.

Email us at: ian70119@yahoo.com with your wishlist
Appreciate your feedback Ian. Thank you for your help.
Flag Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi! It all depends on which part of Nola.... Some areas are very safe, others are questionable. A reputable realtor that I'm currently using is Paul Nelson of Latter & Blum Realtors. He's very honest and has been helpful in our house-hunt. He also lives in the area, so he's really knowledgable about which streets are 'safe' and where 'flood-plains' are (you don't want a home in those areas...just sayin'). Look in the "Uptown", "Garden District", and even the up & coming "Bywater" area (If you want an older more historic home).
Hope that helps guide you a bit!
Here's Paul's contact info:

PAUL NELSON, Realtor
Latter & Blum
Garden District Office
Office Phone: 504-895-4663
E-mail: pnelson@latterblum.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
Thank you Pika. Appreciate your help.
Flag Fri Dec 28, 2012
Where do you live now that is safer ? The residential area of the French Quarter is as safe as any other neighborhood . Check out the various groups that are active . I can put you in touch with quite a few people who own property and live in the Quarter . Any one of them would be thrilled to talk to you about their love affair with our Vieux Carre ! Call me after Christmas at 891-1071 .
I live in Town and Country Missouri, a suburb of St Louis which is virtually free of any violent crimes. We have been visiting New Orleans for many years and stay in the Quarter 4-6 times a year. I also have a sister who lives in the Lakeview area. Appreciate your assistance.
Flag Mon Dec 24, 2012
There is a citizen's group in the Quarter that might be a good source of information:
http://www.frenchquartercitizens.org/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Thank you Lisa.
Flag Mon Dec 24, 2012