Crime & Safety in 31206>Question Details

Phillip, Home Buyer in 30087

The crime stats which I have been seeing appear to be staggering. Is it really that bad?

Asked by Phillip, 30087 Thu May 24, 2012

Answers

3
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 25, 2012
Phillip,

It's tough to answer that question because what is bad for one person is perfectly acceptable to the next.

It's also hard to look at statistics without having something to compare them to. For instance, if the crime stats you are referring to can be compared to other parts of the county, you will likely see more crime in 31206. But, it may be about the same compared to other parts of the city.

The 06 zip code is probably also the most populous zip code through central Macon. So, you have to look at a rate...a percentage of the population. Just looking at counts could be confusing.

In the past when I've seen crime stats for the whole area, it was near the state averages.

The best thing to do is talk to people on the ground. People who live there. You won't find many of them answering question on Trulia, unfortunately. Mostly agents answer questions here, and we're limited in what we can say about neighborhoods because of rules against steering someone to specific areas. You should also get several opinions, since you'll find a good variance in responses. Some will like it. Some won't. It's best to listen to both sides and pick for yourself. You may also find some specific areas of 06 are better than others.

Best of luck!
I do not follow the crime reports that closely. I am sure that, as in all cities, crime is more prevelant in some areas more than others. Your email indicated the 31216 zip code, which is southern Bibb County. I live in southern Bibb and am not aware of staggering crime rates. I have lived in southern Bibb for over 20 years and it seems to me to be a rather safe area to live.

Are you considering purchasing a home here? There are some really good home values in southern Bibb. I will be glad to show you some homes and you can ride through the neighborhoods and get a feel for the area.

Feel free to give me a call at 478-319-0953.

Martha Parden
Sheridan Solomon