Jep, Home Seller in Massachusetts

The crime rates scare us but we have to move to St Augustine from Mass. Are there any super SAFE FAMILY areas?

Asked by Jep, Massachusetts Mon Feb 25, 2008

We have a small child and safety and education are essential to us! We live in a very small, safe area. We are very scared of the crime rates and education systems compared to Massachusetts. However, we need to relocate. Can anyone suggest great communites, areas around St. Augustine.

Jep, St. Augustine has many wonderful neighborhoods, we have lived in almost every one of them and the neighborhood needs to fit you as well as your house. So here is a bit of a break down.

NE, NW - I found most people who live here to be your typical commuters, most work in Jax but want our schools. If you do not work in Jax and need to live there for commuting reasons, the commute to more populated area for say a nice dinner downtown, is a pain and I-95 traffic is a nightmare cause all those commuters leave and come home around the same time, safety is good though.

North City - Is a laid back older neighborhood mostly families who love to be near downtown but like to stay just far enough away for some true neighborhood grass:) safety is good.

Downtown - definately expect less for more down here, a huge plus is walking to St. George Street and the bayfront, there is also a bit of the night life down here. Although traditional family oriented streets down here can be found, (Lemon St., Rhode Ave) just to name a few, plan to get far less space inside and out. And if you plan to leave your house on the 4th of July, you will not be able to get back home after the fireworks end and the flood gates open on both the cars and the crowds coming trying to leave via most downtown streets.

The South / The Shores - Though grouped together because of their proximity to each other, their are just as many differences as similarities between these two neighborhoods. Both neighborhoods, are EXCELLENT for families with children, both have a large variety of smaller neighborhoods inside of the larger ones, both have parks within them.Both have close proximity to shopping and restaurants. Both are just far enough away to allow for larger homes and larger yards. The Shores however has a large community center, fishing pier, community pool, Biking trails throughout, Ponds, and homes that back up to lush golf courses. Safety is an A, especially in the newest section of the shores( the southernmost entrance) And is also zoned for Hartley Elem...A top notch school. I have included their community website.

CR207, SR16, CR208, Vermont Heights - Although these are spread throughout the county, I grouped them based on the types of neighborhood you will find in them. Here you will see your neighbor driving down your street on a 4wheeler, the neighbors usually get along and congregate in a different persons driveway each time and discuss school updates, work days or whatever else they feel the need to discuss, meanwhile the 20 or so kids who all play together typically confiscate the driveway next door and ride their bikes, heely's, rollerblades or just play tag. safety is very good, but you are looking at a 10min drive to the stores and restaurants.Oh and Pizza Hut doesn't deliver, they say it is too far, but Domino's and the others all do. Safety is top notch, this is a great community watch type neighborhood. ( specific comments are directed towards the Vermont Heights neighborhood - Found on the East side of CR207 just South of the I-95 overpass )

These are the neighborhoods that I have personal knowledge of, I have three little girls and find that the best community for us is "The Shores" it has all the amenities we needed and it is surrounded by great schools, we love being able to walk our girls to school and ride our bikes on the paths and we love having a large yard that backs up to a beautiful golf course.

I hope this helps & God Bless You!

Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 26, 2013
I see this question was posted a few months ago. Have you relocated yet? Have you found what you were looking for? If not, I live, work and play in St. Augustine in a community called Palencia and would be happy to answer any questions you might have to help you make a decision. The moving process is not easy, especially when there are children involved. I have been there and done that as well as helping customers. Let me know if I can help.
All Best: Marlene Weiss, Realtor with Watson Realty Corp. email: or call: 904-473-1169.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 6, 2009
Hello Jep, My wife and I are also from Massachusetts and have been living in a great golf course community located just outside St. Augustine at the St. Johns golf course. We have found that our area has a very low crime rate and great schools. There is a community pool and play ground just down the street from our house. The neighborhood is called Cypress Lakes and is located very close to 95 for an easy commute. There are no CDD fees and very low HOA fees. We have a beautiful house that we must sell due to a relocation. Please see ad on Trulia for 5383 Cypress Links Blvd. Paul
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 8, 2008
Hi Jep, we are currently selling our 4/2 1768sqft home in heritage landing in world golf village. The area is geared toward families, it has a large and involved community center(waterslide,pool,playground) and the best schools in the area, because they are saint johns county schools however you arent far from jacksonville or downtown st.augustine and the st augustine beaches. If you would like more information you can email me We do have a great listing on trulia...just search $204000 in the 32092 area it should only bring up my home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
Crime is Low and the schools are great! This is a small town with a small town feel. I relocated my family here and we love it. Lots of great neighborhoods. Call me if you need some info. 904-540-9500
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2008
Hi Jep
I relocated from Kansas City area and love it here in St. Augustine. St. Johns County is proud of its excellent educational opportunities. Public and private schools are first rate with test scores among the highest in the state. I feel safe here. It's a small community with over 50 attractions to see. There are lots of great parks for children such as, Treaty Park, and a new park on St. Augustine beach area. It's a magnificient place. There are lots of great neighborhoods!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 15, 2008

Good luck with your move. We too were worried about crime and schools - moving from NH to FL. My wife, 4 young children and I moved to St. Augustine (World Golf Village area) last July . We LOVE it here! The schools are in my opinion better than in NH's most affluent town where we lived before, crime is isolated in areas outside of where we live and people are in general much friendlier than in New England. We came from 5 acres, so you may not get as much land here in your local FL neighborhood (although there are horse properties too if you want to live 'in the country') but the neighborhood amenities are usually much better. Again, good luck...PS...there are Red Sox and Patriots Fans here in St. Augustine.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
Stick to zip codes 32095 and 32092. These area extremely safe very very nice areas with a wide range of prices for available homes. There is lot's of stuff for kids to do and believe me it is beautiful here. The high school ( Nease) is one of the top in the country. Crime is essentially a non-issue in this part of St. Augustine.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 17, 2008
what is the crime rate in Elkton, fl

For up to date and accurate information of community safety we suggest contacting the local police department or county sheriffs department. They are generally very willing to help.

The "Eckler Team"
Except for a very few areas, crime is a non-issue in St. Augustine. Our schools are excellent. Pick your community to live in based on where you will work. If you will commute to JAX stay focussed on the northward areas along U.S.1. and those very close to exit ramps of I-95. Traffic coming from westward communities commuting to JAX have horrible traffic wait times to enter and exit intersate. Someone posted about Heritage Landing in WGV. it is a great family neighborhood but it is way northwest of St. Augustine off a 2 lane road and commuting to JAX or St. Augustine would not be fun. What you can afford to pay will dictate where you will live if you are working in St. Augustine. I live on Anastasia Island near St. Augustine Beach and love the laid back lifestyle. You need cruise around the area a bit during rush hour to get an accurate first hand picture of what a commutewill be like.
Contact the local police or Sheriff's department. They will provide you with answers to your safety/neighborhood concerns.
The "Eckler Team"

I failed to mention that Northeast & Northwest St. Johns county (St. Augustine) is a bedroom community to Jacksonville. What this means is that many of those who work in Jacksonville choose to live in NE or NW St. Johns County (St Augustine address) The sheriffs office can give you actual crime stats and discuss any safety concerns with you. Here is a link to their web stie: Once again If I can assit you or you need real estate informaion please contact me.
Web Reference:

I have lived in the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area all my life. I can assure you that if you asked any 10 people in the St. Augustine area how they feel about the area and the community in which they live they will tell you they are safe and are very pleased with the schools. Anita is correct that crime is usually limited to pocket areas.

Once you have toured the area, viewed homes, visited neighborhoods and meet residents you will find it easy to select a community that is a good fit for you and your family.

St Johns County schools have a very good reputation Follow this link:
On this page there is a section that tells all the awards the school district has won. The site as a whole should be helpful for you. I you need any assistance or have questions please feel free to contact me.
Web Reference:
Dear Jep,
I have lived and worked in North Florida for the past 25 years. I raised my family here and have never felt unsafe. Crime in our area is usually limited to pocket areas. This is a fabulous place to relocate and raise a family becuase we are frequently called one of the friendliest places people have ever lived. We will be happy to send you information on communities that might interest you. We can also check the data on schools, crime rates, income levels, etc once we narrow down where you might want to live.
Hello Jep,
It may help you to know that compared to many other cities and states, St. Augustine has a comparatively lower crime rate than most.

There are many safe neighborhoods in great school districts - too many to list. It is best to establish a relationship with a trusted real estate person to help familiarize you with the neighborhoods and their respective school districts.

The inventory is great, prices and interest rates are historically low, and all in all - it's a wonderful place to live and the right time to buy!

Best of Luck - let me know if you need assistance.
Hi there,

I tried to respond earlier, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize. We moved to St Augustine/St Johns County 2 years ago because of the phenominal schools and low crime. We have 3 very young children and couldn't be happier. We are in the Johns Creek Community off of County Road 210 and I would not live anywhere else. There are many young children and fantastic neighbors. In fact, my husband and I decided to remain here and just build on because we love the community so much. The 210 neighborhoods, especially Johns Creek (in my opinion) are unlike anything else. Very much it's own subburb and wonderful WONDERFUL people-VERY family oriented. Good luck. Please let me know if you all come down this way, I would be happy to send you some places to check out.
There are many safe places to live in St. Augustine. I do not know the specifics in town but there are many out lying areas to move to. World Golf Village area has many new neighborhoods, and the growth down there is continuous. You could even look a bit north to the Sampson area off i95 and SR210. The neighborhoods are endless. Plus new shops, stores and restaurants. Ponte Vedra is also a wonderful place to live, still the St Johns county school system which is better than the Jacksonville, Duval County school system.