Crime & Safety in 30039>Question Details

Rachel, Home Buyer in Roswell, GA

Tell me about the crime rate in snellville Ga.

Asked by Rachel, Roswell, GA Sat Apr 26, 2008

I am thinking of moving here from New Jersey. How much does the people of snellville like yankees?

Answers

6

It depends from your location, but since a few years, its more safe.
Crime is almost nonexistent. It is one of the safest areas of the metro. New upscale housing construction is going on ALL OVER EVERY AREA of south Gwinnett during the height of the recession. Action speaks louder than words and people who can afford to build nice houses to get what they want instead of tap into the repo bargains do not go to bad areas to do it. Ride all over Snellville and you will see it is booming!
Yankees are welcome here.
Beware, Snellville has changed a great deal for the worse. Crime is high & undesirables have moved into the local schools. I have lived here for 24 years, it's a shame how we have allowed the thug style population to move in & take over. I am a native Atlantan.We moved here for the schools when my kids were young in the 1980's..Not the case now, I would never raise my children here. Robbery, shoplifitng, a lot of petty crime that will get worse. Ask the teachers, they will tell you about the change. Most have moved out.
I have been a Snellville resident for 7 years. Originally from NYC, I lived in the Morristown and Chester NJ areas before moving here. Gwinnett has so many transplants, I do not think most people pay attention to my "distinct" NY accent.
I live in the Southern area of Snellville (Belle Glade), which has a nice, rural kind of feeling which reminds me a little of western Morris County.... without the NJ property taxes or having to shovel the snow!
As for crime, I do not know of anyone who has been a victim; but, it is always a good idea to check with the police department before moving into any new area.
Hi Rachel.

Crime rate in Snellville varies a bit depending on location, but isn't high anywhere in the city. For specific information I would recommend calling Cpl Tim Colgan with the Crime Awareness division of the Snellville Police Department at 770-985-7213.

I have been here for 26 years, also from Jersey (Princeton area). Many years ago "Yankees" were not highly welcomed, although the southern folks wouldn't really let you know it. Now the percentage is so high that it doesn't really matter where you're from. And like Richard said, there aren't a whole lot of locals that seem to still be here. I'm about as native as it gets any more.

Let me know when you're available to look around, and I'll be happy to get you some listings over, just let me know your e-mail address. Since I've been here for so long, I'm very familiar with the area and all the neighborhoods.
As a fellow New Jersian (JerseyCity) whose been in the Norcross, Ga for the last 10 years I can honestly say that the "LOCALS" really dont have it out for the TRANSPLANTS. One thing I noticed about the Atlanta, GA area is that NO ONE IS REALLY FROM HERE!! I've been here 10 years and met less than 10 people who were actually born & raised here.....
Check this website - be sure to pay attention to the DATES that this data was listed . Check the internet to see what the stats are in the area that you're looking for... Most statistics are only good up to 2007 - but check iut out --- http://www.city-data.com/ - put in the zipcode for the city you're looking at...