Crime & Safety in 11226>Question Details

Michelle, Other/Just Looking in Buffalo, NY

So, I looked at an apartment on 21st Street between Woodruff and Caton in Flatbush. As a SWF who had lived in

Asked by Michelle, Buffalo, NY Wed Jun 11, 2008

Spanish Harlem for several years quite a few years back, I have a smattering of experience of what it can feel like to be in the minority and am fine with it. I walked around and so forth and felt fine. However I called the precinct and was told that I seem like a nice girl and may get more attention than I want and was also asked why I want to live there. I was also told that this is one of the hotter areas with regard to crime in the precinct. However, when I asked what the nature of crimes was, i.e. were the assaults random, I was told that I had been given the most information they are able to give over the phone. Do any of you have any opinions or perspectives to add to this?

Answers

1
Michael Corley’s answer
Hi Michelle,

Crime in emerging neighborhoods in New York City have always been deliberately skewed in its reporting.

I've always marveled at the under reporting of crime that occurs in predominately white neighborhoods, as the impression given to the general public is that violent crime occurs disproportionately in neighborhoods of color.

My only advice is that you should visit a restaurant in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn called TINY CUP, on Clifton and Nostrand. It happens to be the meeting spot for a thriving artist community of white resident transplants from super expensive neighborhoods. And they are happy to be there and have embraced the community, as well as the community has embraced them.

The precinct that offered their opinion on the criminality of that community will always see it through one lense ONLY, because its their job. The majority of this city's police officers live on Staten Island or Long Island, having very little engagement with the community outside of the narrow scope of their jobs.

I've lived on a block in Crown Heights, Brooklyn for 11 years and there has been a white family on this block since the 1930's who have embraced the community throughout its transition from a predominate jewish neighborhood to a majority african / carribean american population.

I wish you well in your decision and encourage you to make it according to YOUR criteria, not by those who don't live, shop, eat, play or contribute to the community.

Michael Corley
V.P., Sales and Marketing
Corley Realty Group Inc.

http://www.CorleyRE.com
Web Reference: http://www.CorleyRE.com