Crime & Safety in Oakland>Question Details

Amy Z, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Safe neighborhoods in Oakland

Asked by Amy Z, San Francisco, CA Thu Jan 8, 2009

I'm a SWF looking to buy in Oakland, I'm looking to spend a max of $250k, preferrably less, which won't get me into the more desirable hoods of Claremont and Rockridge, but that doesn't bother me. I commute to the city for work and tend to do a lot during the week socially so my major concern is living somewhere in Oakland where its convenient to transportation to the city and that the area is safe at night when I'm going home, whether its at 6pm or 11pm. Can anyone out there recommend areas or neighborhoods that would meet my requirements?

I'm hearing Maxwell Park for one, and possibly Fruitvale, but let me know if there are any other great pockets!

Answers

13
Upper Dimond is a good area. The zip code is 94602. I've lived here over 30 years. Easy access to highway 13 and I-580 to get you where you want to go and convienent to Montclair Village, Dimond and Laurel shopping districts. Upper Dimond is between McArthur Blvd on the south, 35th Ave/Redwood Road on the east, around Lincoln Blvd on the west, and around highway 13 on the north. Above highway 13 will be too much $$$. Use Google map to "drive around" and check out the Oakland Crimespotting website if you want.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 7, 2009
There are some great deals in Allendale, but I never felt particularly safe walking around there when I lived in the Laurel, which was recently -- and I'm 6'3", 225#. If there are pockets of Allendale where I would feel comfortable having a woman I cared about walking around at night, I would love to know where they are.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 9, 2009
Adams Point has some good deals right now, and is relatively safe. My girlfriend lives over there and regularly walks home alone from 19th Street BART. It is also very close to Lake Merritt, Grand/Lake, and Whole Foods on Harrison! Let me know if you'd like to find out more about available properties -- there are quite a few on Jayne, Lenox, and nearby streets.

I am sure there are other neighborhoods that could be suggested, but that's where I would buy.

Cameron Platt, JD, CRS
Platt Inc. Real Estate
(510) 261-1661
ccp@plattinc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 8, 2009
I agree with Bill Eckler, your local authorities are the best resource for determining safety. As realtors, we are not to address areas as it is considered "steering". If you like a home, talk to neighbors.
Hi Amy. I know you were going through this process about a year ago and it looks like you may have ended up buying in Walnut Creek...? I'm a SWF about to move to the Bay Area with the same budget as you and am being told to check out Walnut Creek, although I was originally thinking I wanted to try and live in Oakland (I'll be working in SF). Can you tell me what made you settle on Walnut Creek instead?
Amy Z,

Issues of neighborhood safety are best addressed by the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and up to date information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

In addition to what others have said, I like the Allendale Park Area. It is just below 580 between 35th Ave and High Street. There are a lot of 2br, 1bth single family homes in that area. Some streets are nicer than others. Look for pride of ownership streets and check with a local agent for the best deals. Good luck in your home search!
Amy,

Hi. Definitely checking out the City of Oakland's Police Department website would be a good place to get a feel for the safety of a neighborhood. http://gismaps.oaklandnet.com/crimewatch/

Also many of the Oakland neighborhoods have Crime and Prevention Groups that are often very active. For example I live in Maxwell Park and there is a very active community group there: http://www.maxwellpark.com

Also with the price range you are looking at it may be more difficult to find a single family home in the price range you are looking for that is close to public transportation as well in one of the more desirable neighborhoods in Oakland. I would say you would be able to find a condo in the Grand Lake/Adams Point area. I have been working with a couple of buyers who are looking at condos in this area there are definitely options in your price range. These areas would also be great areas to find public transportation as well. The Lake Merritt, downtown and MacArthur BART stations are near by and the TransBay bus is also a great option. In addition there are several locations for casual carpool rides as well. There are parts of the Laurel District that might be an option. Public transportation is less abundant in this area, but there is casual carpool and a several bus lines that can take you to the city as well as the Fruitvale BART Station.

You may want to spend some time visiting a few of different neighborhoods in Oakland so you can get a feel for the different neighborhoods in Oakland to find the right fit for you.

If you have any other questions about the area or options in your price range, you can email or give a call.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
Lisa@LisaCartolano.com
510.213.1139
The best source for neighborhood safety is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the mosr accurate and current information and are normally very willing to be helpful.

I bought in Oakland recently and used this website / crimespotting data to help understand the background of areas I was looking http://oakland.crimespotting.org
It's definitely a challenge but not impossible! First off, I would check the City of Oakland's website for the most recent crime stats. What might be safe to me might not be what you consider safe. With that said, I live in North Oakland on the Emeryville border and absolutely love it. Some might not think of it as the safest neighborhood but I have never had a problem and I have been here for two years. You can also check out the Laurel district / Dimond District. Hope this helps.
Ah. Yes, that will be a bit more challenging, but not necessarily impossible if you are patient and open-minded. If you are not already working with another agent, please contact me directly for a no-pressure consultation. I love a challenge!
Thank you Cameron, I should have mentioned that I'm not really interested in a condo, but I would prefer a bungalow style house.