Crime & Safety in Fort Smith>Question Details

Chutmach, Home Buyer in Fort Smith, AR

SCAM ft smith ar. Anyone care?????

Asked by Chutmach, Fort Smith, AR Mon Sep 24, 2012

Why can i not report directly to trulia-ft.smith ar that their site is also beong hacked! I click on a "rental" and apply to listing, and i get "someone" who's obviously not aware of the english language or grammer. They claim to be the owner of the house, and they have been "re assigned" out of country, and are wanting to lease their "home" to a "good and responsible" person!Wont be going to the site again- but wouls sure like to report this to authorities! Who can i report to????

Answers

3
This is a very common scam everywhere. The scammers find the listing online and then use county records to get the owners name. (Easily done online these days). They then post a listing using a copied pic of the house pretending to be the owners and listing it as a rental with a great price. When the potential renters call they say they are out of town to just Western Union the money and they will mail the key. They use Craigs List, Trulia And even the local paper. Of course no key ever comes and the real owners never know unless someone notifies them or their Realtor. If you see this on my listings I want to know so we can report these people to the proper authorities.

I suggest you make an effort to contact the real listing agent. I can find them if you need me to. The agent can contact the real owners who can work with you and the authorities to catch these criminals.
Chutmach,

Sorry but that has been going on for years in our area. It started on Craigslist and has apparently expanded. If I were you, I'd proceed with caution and thoroughly investigate first.

Ray Nellum
Have you tried flagging the ad? It is right under the info where it says "report error"